MSW and MSMFT(Marriage and Family Therapy) which one would have a better employment outlook for an international student?

everlast_

Hello everyone, 

I am interested in helping profession and I got admitted into both MSW and MSMFT programs from schools that are top in each programs respectively( WUSTL, UW and Northwestern) , My goal is to secure a job and obtain the H1B visa after 2 year of study.

I am an Asian and bilingual so I factored that in as well. I tried find employment data for international student for social work and MFT profession but they are so hard to find.  I know for domestic graduates, looks like social worker has a broader employment market than Marriage and Family Therapist but they also earn less money.  I am thinking to use my bilingual skills and find a place where has a lot of Aisian population may help?  I am also admitted into UW for their MSW. and because the Asian population there, would it be a benefit for me?   Does anybody know if there is a lot of Asian population in Chicago Area? ( I really like the MSMFT program that Northewestern offer, but worry about the future job opportunity... although their employment rate is 100%----who knows if that also include international student lol ) 

Another pain in the butt is that typical after graduation there is a 2 year period to accumulate the hour and apply for state licensure. but for international student, there is only one year of time that federal government give for us to do the internship ( OPT) I really don't want to graduate with a degree and has to go back home without even grab the license..... 

So the most optimal situation is that I graduate, I find an place that willing to offer me an OPT( which not seem like a problem) and then further willing to support my H1b visa application process. so I can at least finish my licensure process.  oh man I am already got a little desperate just by writing it lol 

I know it probably depends cuz I ve heard people find a place who are not willing to offer the H1b sponsor but later are willing to help out. I also heard we can find a lawyer and apply for H1b on our own as long as the company is willing to provide supporting documents. but I am still "paranoid" and trying to grab more information... 

Sorry for so many questions but I feel you guys may have some insights and would like to shed lights on it? 

thank you thank you thank you!! :)  :)

:)

Master's level licenses in social work/ marriage and family therapy/ mental health counseling are complicated because the license requirements and job prospects depend on the state. Each state has different licensure requirements, and in some states one licensure has an advantage, while in other states another has an advantage. The job prospects have to do with the ability to accept insurance. In Massachusetts, where I'm from, social workers can accept more forms of insurance than mental health counselors, and I believe marriage and family therapy is last. However, I've heard that in California it's the opposite: marriage and family therapy is the best. So, unfortunately, it depends on which state you want to work in. Only the doctorate degrees in Psychology give you a national license.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Master's level licenses in social work/ marriage and family therapy/ mental health counseling are complicated because the license requirements and job prospects depend on the state. Each state has different licensure requirements, and in some states one licensure has an advantage, while in other states another has an advantage. The job prospects have to do with the ability to accept insurance. In Massachusetts, where I'm from, social workers can accept more forms of insurance than mental health counselors, and I believe marriage and family therapy is last. However, I've heard that in California it's the opposite: marriage and family therapy is the best. So, unfortunately, it depends on which state you want to work in. Only the doctorate degrees in Psychology give you a national license.

Thanks Nick, I am definitly thinking about Phd .... but not in the near future tho.. Too much school and I feel like I need a nice break before I am ready to go back hahah 

I would think that the social work degree would have a better employment outlook in general. 

thanks sackofcrap! That's what I found as well ...But I ended up going to northwestern's MFT program... hope its national credibility will help more or less lol 

Hi,

I came from TW 2 years ago, and now I am graduating from MFT program in MN.

Currently, I'm facing all the issues that you are worried about XD

Maybe we can share some thoughts and experience with each others :D

Sure of course!! cheers!!

If you are in it to develop solid counselling skills I think SMSFT is the way to go. If you are interested in social justice issues and helping people in ways that do not exclusively involve counselling, then I'd suggest an MSW. I know someone who has done both (at different schools) and when he compares the two, the MSW training seems to be fairly limited in terms of helping him develop his counselling skills when compared to the SMSFT program. But an MSW is useful in different ways as the training is broader and you learn about marginalization, social justice issues, etc. It is also more recognized and it opens up a greater range of job opportunities, which is one of his reasons for getting an MSW too.

Edited by jenste

If you are in it to develop solid counselling skills I think SMSFT is the way to go. If you are interested in social justice issues and helping people in ways that do not exclusively involve counselling, then I'd suggest an MSW. I know someone who has done both (at different schools) and when he compares the two, the MSW training seems to be fairly limited in terms of helping him develop his counselling skills when compared to the SMSFT program. But an MSW is useful in different ways as the training is broader and you learn about marginalization, social justice issues, etc. It is also more recognized and it opens up a greater range of job opportunities, which is one of his reasons for getting an MSW too.

Thanks for the pertinent advice Jenste! I kinda went through the same mind journey and I think I am more interested in counselling skills in a therapeutic setting so Northwestern it is haha 

hiiii......
i am regularly read this site and your post  really good but this time i cant give the answer of this question ........ 

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use