Utah State Accepted/Waitlist Applicants

Hi all, 

I was placed around the top of the "top tier" of the wait list for Utah State and was wondering if anyone who was accepted can shed light on if they will/will not be attending Utah State. I am sure all of us waitlisters are feelings pretty anxious about whether they will move to the wait list this year or not! Thanks :)

I was accepted and will mostly like be attending, barring an offer of significant funding from another school. Would love to talk to anyone else who plans on attending!

Good luck with the wait list pbschutte, I'm sure there are some people who were accepted who will end up going to other schools so you might have a good chance!

I was accepted and will most likely attend as well unless I absolutely hate it at the open house - but like moosemoose said, I'm sure there are plenty that will turn the offer down for other schools!! Good luck!!! 

I was accepted and will most likely attend as well unless I absolutely hate it at the open house - but like moosemoose said, I'm sure there are plenty that will turn the offer down for other schools!! Good luck!!! 

I might want to grill you about the open house! I wish I could go, but I'd be traveling from several states away and ultimately feel like the cost of gas/lodging/etc just doesn't make sense given upcoming moving expenses. I'd mostly be interested to see the general vibe of the program, what the facilities are like, and to talk to current students and professors about whether the program is more clinical/practical or research/theoretical in focus. Also curious about opportunities for elective courses and how clinical placements work; I've heard that some students end up doing placements a ways away from Logan because of a lack of local sites. 

I might want to grill you about the open house! I wish I could go, but I'd be traveling from several states away and ultimately feel like the cost of gas/lodging/etc just doesn't make sense given upcoming moving expenses. I'd mostly be interested to see the general vibe of the program, what the facilities are like, and to talk to current students and professors about whether the program is more clinical/practical or research/theoretical in focus. Also curious about opportunities for elective courses and how clinical placements work; I've heard that some students end up doing placements a ways away from Logan because of a lack of local sites. 

Absolutely! I can def. fill you in. I'm also traveling quite a distance but I just don't think that I could make the decision blindly - I'm really struggling with whether or not to accept at my current school just because I have great relationships with my professors and I'm comfortable, but I can't beat the price at USU! I'm also excited about the research aspect. Never thought out of state would be cheaper for me! Ahhh stress.

Absolutely! I can def. fill you in. I'm also traveling quite a distance but I just don't think that I could make the decision blindly - I'm really struggling with whether or not to accept at my current school just because I have great relationships with my professors and I'm comfortable, but I can't beat the price at USU! I'm also excited about the research aspect. Never thought out of state would be cheaper for me! Ahhh stress.

I'm out of state and don't think I can make it either, I'd really appreciate the input too!

I just bought my plane ticket/car rental/hotel (ouch) - I'm officially going to the open house! If there's anything specific you guys would like me to look out for or ask, let me know!! :)

I'd be interested to hear what current students have to say about the program regarding their clinical placements and whether they feel prepared/competent by the end of the program. Have fun!

So how was the open house? Did you get a chance to check out the town at all while you were there?

It was really, really good! Dr. Milman and Borrie each did a small presentation about their research interests and we watched a video made by the Gillams since they weren't able to attend the open house. Took a tour of the speech path clinic as well as the audiology clinic area - they actually are going to start building a new SLHS clinic next year - and got to chat with faculty and current grad students...overall, everyone seemed happy! The biggest complaint I heard was that Logan isn't that big - however, coming from a rural area it's not an issue at all for me. I asked current grad students whether they felt prepared, and all of them said that they definitely felt competent/confident in their abilities and that they felt they were getting a well-rounded education. It was also stressed during the open house that USU doesn't lean heavily towards medical or education in order for everyone to experience a wide range of clinical settings/experiences. The town itself was very nice and the downtown area was really quaint/cute - I'm surprised I didn't crash the first night I was there, I drove by campus around sunset and was gawking the entire time at how pretty everything was. Beautiful campus/area! As far as externships go, they DID say that they do have placements in Logan but many go outside the area (so for summer 2016 and spring of 2017.) and backed that up by explaining it helps you get EXACTLY what you want out of a placement as far as setting/populations go. Overall I got a great feeling and I'm probably going to commit by the end of the week! 

If anyone wants more info feel free to PM me :) 

Edited by rubyslp23

Not to be the damper on this discussion about USU, but any updates on declines for those who were admitted? Very anxious to hear whether they will move to the wait list this year!! Thanks :)

I'm most likely going to accept my offer, just have to psych myself up to actually pull the trigger and do it. Sorry I couldn't give you better news! I'd be surprised if no one declined, though, so I wouldn't give up hope yet.