I want to get my MPA...but I don't want to be broke

threediva

So, I have decided that I want to pursue my Masters in Public Admin, my passion is in working for non-profits, this is ultimately what I want to do for living. However, I just started working for my Fed Agency less than a year ago and I am afraid of leaving steady employment for school again. Also just graduated in 2008.

What is a girl to do? I have bills to pay, but I don't entirely love what I do. I don't want to go to a school in my area ( Virginia Beach) and have been looking at looking at schools in NY,NJ (parents live here), Northern VA, MD, DC area. I am afraid to lose my income, but I have always been about forward movement, especially when I have a clear idea about something.

Any suggestions on how I can make the transition smooth or where to start?

Does anyone know of any great MPA part-time programs in these areas that could work with a 9-5 job? :D

I would apply to lower ranked schools that most probably offer you funding. In that I mean....view the average gpas/gre scores of schools you want to go to. Then apply to schools where you clearly exceed those numbers. They will most probably offer you funding. Then you can get a degree with no debt. This is what I am doing....no point in going in debt for social work or public service...we are already paid less than we deserve.

I would apply to lower ranked schools that most probably offer you funding. In that I mean....view the average gpas/gre scores of schools you want to go to. Then apply to schools where you clearly exceed those numbers. They will most probably offer you funding. Then you can get a degree with no debt. This is what I am doing....no point in going in debt for social work or public service...we are already paid less than we deserve.

Thanks, that is interesting advice. I really am concerned with the funding issue. I also don't want to lose the pay/benefits I have to get a second degree. I will defeintely look into doing that, But I will also apply to the schools that I know have the best program because you never know. All things are possible through God. I guess I should apply that to my situation even If I have to do the full-time thing. :mrgreen:

Do you mind if I ask why you want an MPA? What exactly do you hope to get out of it, and what area of nonprofit work do you want to go into? In general, I think MPAs, especially for nonprofit work, make more sense when you've got a few more years of experience under your belt.

• 2 weeks later...