Notre Dame Theology -- Switching from MDiv to MTS

amelton

Hey There,

I'm looking at applying to Notre Dame to study theology this next application cycle. It seem from the statistics that more are accepted into their MDiv than their MTS. In general, it seems their MDiv has slightly lower standards than their MTS.

Because of lack of direction in my first couple years of undergrad, my transcripts are not great -- or at least not MTS acceptance great. Is it unheard of to apply to their MDiv, and after a semester switch to their MTS? I'm more interested in working within the Academy than vocational ministry, and think the MTS is probably more geared to that end goal.

Thanks for your advice!

A member of the religious studies department at my university studied at Notre Dame, began as an MDiv student and switched to an MA. He also noted that the academic requirements for the MDiv are a little more lenient, but they "tend to look for students they think will best contribute to the pastoral mission of the church" in his words.

It's worth noting that ND's MA (a summer program not meant to prepare for PhD study) is a different program than their MTS. You may have been talking about the same program, but I just thought I'd mention that. Their MA has a very high acceptance rate, but their MTS does not. I'm guessing any switches from the MDiv to the MTS are very rare, if they happen at al.

It's worth noting that ND's MA (a summer program not meant to prepare for PhD study) is a different program than their MTS. You may have been talking about the same program, but I just thought I'd mention that. Their MA has a very high acceptance rate, but their MTS does not. I'm guessing any switches from the MDiv to the MTS are very rare, if they happen at al.

The person I mentioned studied at Notre Dame back in the late 80s/ early 90s. I'm not sure what degrees the department offered back then.