Bard Grad Center vs. Parsons/Cooper Hewitt vs. SVA MA Design Research

Hi all,

I applied to three design-related MA programs this season and was accepted to all with some funding. It's coming time to make a decision and I'm having a rough time of it. Finances are a big factor for me (I have virtually no savings, debt terrifies me, and my family's in no position to help me out with tuition costs or living expenses while I'm in school).

I have OK offers from the Bard Grad Center and the Parsons/Cooper Hewitt MA program. At Bard I've been offered just under $8k a year in grant aid (I'm eligible for $20,500 in federal loans) and would need to come up with some $10k a year to pay off my tuition, not counting whatever I'd need to live on—current students have made it very clear that it's not possible to work and do the program at the same time. Parsons has offered me a scholarship of 20% off my tuition, which is actually a worse offer than Bard's, but the director of the program has expressed a lot of interest in my attending and we're going to speak on the phone tomorrow regarding my funding. I wasn't so interested in the Parsons program until recently, but it has a lot of unique advantages (connection to the Cooper Hewitt, lots of fellowships/internships available to current students, access to the National Design Library, TA positions, study abroad opportunities...) and, if they're able to come up with more funding for me, I'll be really tempted.

SVA is a newer, 1-year program with a greater focus on design writing and criticism—it's fairly media-focused, not really as academic as, say, Bard is—and has offered me a big enough scholarship that I'd be able to cover the cost of my tuition with federal loans alone. They're also willing to match outside scholarships up to $2,500, and there are significant scholarships available to students in the program after the first semester (up to $5k). The program coordinator has also indicated that most students do work while completing the program, and are able to cover their living expenses that way. If I really bust my ass, I'll come out with vastly less debt than I would in either of the other two programs—I'm just not sure if SVA's reputation matches up, or if I might be pigeonholing myself by choosing a shorter program with a narrower, less academic focus.

I think I'd be happy at Parsons or at SVA (I'm pretty ready to say no to Bard), but both programs are very different and I worry that making a decision solely based on finances may close some doors to me professionally, especially since the SVA program is so narrow (and so much less academically-inclined). That said, SVA's the clear winner in terms of funding, and it seems like they're pouring a lot of resources into the program in order to establish a sold reputation, since it is pretty new. Does anybody have any insight into the mileage I'd get out of these respective programs ... what sounds like the best idea to an outsider, basically?

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Do you have a plans for a PhD? The Parsons program seems like a less useful degree to me unless you plan on going on to the PhD. It's a similar situation with the Design Studies MA program at Parsons. If you do not have plans for a PhD, then I'd go with SVA. The less academic nature of the program would be irrelevant. Also, I just took a look at the SVA program and it looks like a really good program. Good luck in your decision.

Edited by DrF8

On second thought, I gave SVA another look and there is no electives and none of the faculty members have masters degrees. So keep that in mind.

Edited by DrF8