Top 5 vs. Top10

Rolex

Hello, friendly caffeine addicts here!   :)

I want to politely survey your shining insights and opinions for my decision.

Currently, I have two options.  

1. UIUC EE PhD

2. UMich EE PhD

According to the USNEWS ranking (although I know this is not a bible), UIUC have been 3~4th ranked and Michigan have been 6~7th ranked in EE.

So, it seems UIUC has slightly better reputation in EE, but the POI and research topic of Michigan is slightly more attractive to me.   

Both of options give me enough financial package, so it can't be a reason for decision.

Do you guys think the reputation of UIUC's PhD program in EE beats the Michigan?

I mean, if I got admission from MIT, Stanford or UCB, then I would go there regardless of slightly less research fit, but how about for UIUC? 

I want to carefully see what is you guys' choice if you are in my situation.

Thank you for your time to read this thread :)

I will sincerely appreciate any comments !

I'm under the impression that schools ranked within the top 10 tend to not have a lot of difference between them (in terms of funding, equipment, etc). Given that, I think either is prestigious enough within your field to give you some good career aspects when you graduate. So, if you prefer the research at michigan, go for michigan!

I think you should go to Michigan. As Ixwllms said, once you get past top 10 (congrats, btw!) the margin of difference is so razor thin. If you think you have a better research fit at Michigan, you should weigh that more heavily. At this point it's really all about where you think you'd be happiest, regardless of ranking.

As an aside, another factor to consider is the location - do you have a preference for Urbana-Champaign versus Ann Arbor? And I guess... do you like yellow and blue or orange and blue more? (That last part is a joke)

Agreed with the above - the differences between top 10 schools (especially schools with just 3 ranks between them) are negligible, and a quirk from year to year or slightly different methodology can shuffle them around. If Michigan is more attractive to you, then you should go there.

i disagree. i find that the difference between top 10 and top 5 schools tends to vary greatly. go check it out for yourself, though

That may be true. However, the top five he is talking about is 3-4 and the top 10 is 6-7. I think the those are pretty close and to be honest reputation wise UIUC and UMich are equal (some may argue UMich to be better).

To the OP. This rank difference is negligible. Everyone treats those two schools would see them as equal. I would go with the better research fit.

Another thing to consider is location. Ann Arbor is waaaay better than Urbana/Champaign. I know it is likely that you don't really care about where you will be living for grad school, but Urbana/Champaign is one of the most boring places on the planet. I have lived in plenty small college towns too, so I know how it compares. Ann Arbor on the other hand is one of the best college towns in the country. I don't have any ties to either of them, and I'm not biased about it.

That may be true. However, the top five he is talking about is 3-4 and the top 10 is 6-7. I think the those are pretty close and to be honest reputation wise UIUC and UMich are equal (some may argue UMich to be better).

To the OP. This rank difference is negligible. Everyone treats those two schools would see them as equal. I would go with the better research fit.

Another thing to consider is location. Ann Arbor is waaaay better than Urbana/Champaign. I know it is likely that you don't really care about where you will be living for grad school, but Urbana/Champaign is one of the most boring places on the planet. I have lived in plenty small college towns too, so I know how it compares. Ann Arbor on the other hand is one of the best college towns in the country. I don't have any ties to either of them, and I'm not biased about it.

I completely agree with this. The difference between these rankings are pretty negligible. There's a lot of factors at play, here, and you should consider all of them. USNews rankings are not the bible and should not be treated as such, especially between such close numbers. I think that any differences you may have seen between a top 5 and top 10 school are circumstantial, not the rule. UMich is a very well-funded university with a great reputation, and, having visited just a week ago, Ann Arbor is a pretty great environment. I don't know much about UIUC short of the fact that it, too, is a great school, but my point is that you've really no reason to choose one over the other just because USNews says so, not when they're both very comparable. I highly recommend going where the research and environment are a better fit for you.

Also, to add/emphasize: I don't think it would be wise to choose a school such as MIT, Stanford, Berkeley, etc., over one of these schools if the research fit is not great. They're all still ranked pretty comparably, and I can't imagine that you will have much luck succeeding in a program where you don't fit with the research, in which case, the "MIT" stamp on your resume will not help you nearly as much as a school where you truly thrived. I know you were speaking hypothetically, but these are just my two cents. 

Edited by braindump

Thank you very much, all !! 

You guys really kind though :)

It was so much helpful to me for decision. 

And I am always open to further opinions until April 15th, so please feel free to show me your insight !

I really appreciate above comments, again.

Have a nice day.   

i disagree. i find that the difference between top 10 and top 5 schools tends to vary greatly. go check it out for yourself, though

This might be field dependent also. I visited a top 5 school and one ranked 10-15. I didn't find the current students at the top 5 to be any more impressive that those at the 10-15... actually I was more impressed by those at the 10-15 ranked. The resources at both schools seemed equivalent, the finances of the 2 departments were similar, the profs were publishing in the same journals and placing students in similar postdoc positions. In my field, resources and placement rates across the top 20 programs are very similar. I am leaning towards accepting the 10-15 ranked program's offer.

If you can visit the programs then I agree that you should try. Otherwise, I think that both are great schools and you really cant make a wrong decision with those options.

This might be field dependent also. I visited a top 5 school and one ranked 10-15. I didn't find the current students at the top 5 to be any more impressive that those at the 10-15... actually I was more impressed by those at the 10-15 ranked. The resources at both schools seemed equivalent, the finances of the 2 departments were similar, the profs were publishing in the same journals and placing students in similar postdoc positions. In my field, resources and placement rates across the top 20 programs are very similar. I am leaning towards accepting the 10-15 ranked program's offer.

If you can visit the programs then I agree that you should try. Otherwise, I think that both are great schools and you really cant make a wrong decision with those options.

I perfectly agree with you in that I should go directly both places and see where fit more. 

However, I am an international and now I am in other country, so I can't visit those schools. 

However, your personal experience definitely helps my decision.

Thank you so much bsharpe269  :)