NYU vs. Hunter

CH918

Hey everyone,

First off, congratulations to everyone who has heard back from their schools so far!

I know this topic has been brought up before, but I would love some fresh input.

I have been accepted to my top two programs: NYU and Hunter. I am having a really difficult time deciding on which to attend. Without cost as a factor, what are people's thoughts on the programs? I am a NY native, but my husband is Canadian, and I am not sure where we are going to settle down, so I am having concerns on choosing Hunter. However, I am also unsure about attending a rather non-diverse school as many have told me NYU is. I'm not sure my exact path as of yet, but right now I am leaning more towards clinical than a community/social justice type program... but then again, until I actually gain experience in a placement, who knows?! 

Are there any current students who can comment on their programs? Anyone who made a similar decision lately?

Thanks so much for all of your help  :)

I say if you're more interested in the social justice community thing, Hunter is a better choice. They really focus on that and it's super diverse which means the education you'll receive is second to none. The diversity is only going to help you as a social worker in the future as you work with multiple clients from different cultures.

And it's cheap. :)

HI Rebekah,

Thanks for your input! I may have been unclear in my original post, but I was trying to say that I'm not really certain which aspect of social work I am leaning towards. I currently work at a middle school, so school social work is something I am interested in, but I'm afraid that may be because it's my only experience thus far. The diversity aspect is definitely important :)

Thanks!

Sorry! I must have missed that.  I understand now! :)

The facilitator in my interview at Hunter seemed to point out that NYU is going to prepare you a lot for working in private practices, so working almost strictly with couples or individuals.  I'm SURE they also teach more than that, if they're accredited they must, but this might be their end goal for the social workers they are graduating.  

Hunter is going to focus a lot on social services aspects, while still teaching you the clinical information you need to know to be an LCSW and to eventually have your own/work in a private setting. 

So, I guess that choice is really up to you and what you feel works best for you! Maybe research the curriculums of each school, check out some of the faculty's research interests.  That's what I did and that's how I became settled on Hunter.  The school aligned with everything I wanted to do, and what I want for my future career.  Hope this is helpful and not just blowing steam lol :)

No, that was super helpful -- thank you! I guess my problem is that I have lots of contacts who have gone to Hunter, and none that have gone to NYU, so I am missing that perspective... but maybe that is telling in and of itself!  ;)

After seeing hunter, I am choosing NYU. I don't feel safe in the area, and there is no where to grab food or to hangout and relax. It was a very weird vibe and I am willing to pay more money for safety and a better area.

No, that was super helpful -- thank you! I guess my problem is that I have lots of contacts who have gone to Hunter, and none that have gone to NYU, so I am missing that perspective... but maybe that is telling in and of itself!  ;)

I am currently in my final semester at hunter and highly recommend the program. I think you would be hard pressed to find a more diverse and intelligent program in the city. I believe the curriculum at hunter will more than satisfy your desire to be clinically trained, as well as being in the area will help to acclimate with some of the work we will be tasked to complete in the field.

I definitely believe that Hunter is an awesome program -- I know many graduates that are very happy with the education they received. I guess my concern is more due to the possibility of leaving the country; I know NYU is more recognized globally.

Also, to those who attended Hunter -- how did you feel about your placements? Did you feel supported and do you feel that they were high-quality?

Thank you!

I'm currently a student at NYU's social work program, and a Hunter graduate. If money isn't a concern for you, NYU would be great. I currently intern with Hunter students and the workload differs. I had way more papers than the Hunter students. NYU students are required to do a POPS project (create a new group or program at your internship) at their internships and write a paper about it, Hunter students do not do this. If you want to move out the country, or go to another state, my best bet is NYU, it's globally recognized and it's NYU!

Highlights about NYU's MSW:

1. Professors are VERY clinical, many of them have extensive experience in the field

2. Bobst library is HUGE, you won't even have to buy books since most are on reserve and you can scan at anytime 

3. Staff (especially field advisors) are very attentive to each student  (Hunter isn't very good at this, they do one site visit and it's hard to reach your field advisor) 

4. LOTS of professional development events 

5. NYU has a Phi Alpha (Social Work Honor Society), Hunter does not (3.9 GPA or above to get in)

6. It's located in SOHO, which means lots of Chipotle and all the wonders of SOHO!

7. Alumni post jobs very often on the school's Facebook page (lots of networking)

8. NYU offers FLO's which lets you specialize in your field of interest (some FLOs offer PAID internships) 

9. You can reject an internship if you don't like it (during the  interview process) and move on to the next one (Hunter DOES NOT allow you to reject- wherever they place you is where you have to stay for a whole year)

10. NYU offers Professional Development trainings to alumni, you can even do your SIFI (to become a field instructor) at the school after you've graduated and obtained a LCSW

CONS

1. Expensive (Hunter is half the price of NYU) 

2. Sometimes the classrooms are crowded, the building is sort of vintage (Hunter has a new, modern, and bigger building)

*** Hunter DOES NOT give out letter grades. You have to request them. They use a (Pass/Fail) rubric. NYU uses the traditional (A-F) grading rubric. 

Good Luck!!

@Zee21 I've already committed to NYU (and VERY excited about it!!!) but just wanted to thank you for writing out all of the above regarding your experience at NYU! It sounds like you are having a positive experience, which is reassuring!

Zee21 -- thank you SO MUCH for this clear and thoughtful post! It really helps to know so many specifics about the program. There are definitely a lot of things that you brought up that I wasn't even aware of! Thanks again!!!  :) 

Zee21, thanks for your post about NYU. I'm wondering if you feel that NYU can support a student who has policy interests? I'm interested in doing clinical work in the short-term, but I want to get into macro work in the future, and it would be great to be able to take some classes/get some skills while I'm in graduate school. Would love to hear your thoughts on that!