Columbia vs Michigan vs VCU which one to pick

snj

I'm trying to decide between Columbia, Michigan and VCU.  I live in Virginia so VCU is in-state tuition which is way cheaper.  However, is it worth it to go to an Ivy or to Michigan instead?

I am a current VCU BSW student who also got into VCU and Columbia. I have ruled out Columbia because I felt their clinical program was not strong and they just rely on their name. It's 100% not worth the money in my opinion. VCU has a strong program and I know you will leave it feeling prepared to be a competent social worker. Michigan is like the #1 school and has been for a long time... I have one friend who went there and loved it. If I were you I would visit Michigan to try and make the most informed decision possible and then decided between there and VCU.

jharper,

Thank you for your reply.  I'm curious why you decided to go to NYU for your MSW if you were accepted to VCU?  

Personal reasons- nothing to do with the program at VCU. I've been in undergrad for five years and have gone through a lot in my personal life in that time and just kind of wanted a fresh start somewhere else. If my personal circumstances were different, I would happily stay. In fact, A LOT of people from my current BSW program are staying at VCU for the 2year or advanced standing programs because they WANT to. It's a great school and supportive/inclusive/open-minded community that I think you will enjoy   :)

If you like the program I would say to go in state and save the money.  From my experience on the job market I would guess 99% of social work positions don't look at prestige as much as they look at experience anyways.  Odds are you won't be getting rich in social work so you're better off with less debt.