To all the universities/programs I applied to, please let me know if I am accepted or not. The sooner the better!

It might not define who I am, but getting an offer will certainly define my professional life.  Without one, I am half way to the finish line and regardless of how much faith I might have in my own abilities, potential employers, the outside world, won't hire me on good faith.  They want that degree.  They want proof.

At the moment, I am a semi-scientist.  I am one of those countless cell cultures I put away in the freezer all the time, hoping that maybe someone will take ME (not my neighbor!) out, and let me grow.

This is so beautiful, so sad, and so true. This is exactly how I feel. :-/ So far, I've been rejected by 4 schools, had my application discarded by a 5th (the joint phd program I applied to was being discontinued. instead of telling me and/or asking me if I wanted to be considered for just the general linguistics phd program, they just...threw out my application and didn't tell me until I pestered them for a couple of weeks)...and I'm down to one school that I'm still waiting on. According to the results search, a few people have already received acceptances and rejections, so I'm guessing I'm waitlisted.

I do have a teaching job in my field of interest (I already have an MA), so that's at least one positive thing, but for a tenure-track, research/teaching-balanced job that I'd ultimately like to have, I need a PhD. Also, I hate, hate, hate where I live/work and while the thought of not getting to do my PhD upsets me, coming to terms with the likelihood of me staying where I am for another year just bums me out even more. <sigh> this whole process has been exhausting and frustrating, and I've got 5 lbs of stress-eating to show for it. :-/

I just finished a call with the civil engineering department at UCLA.

They said my application is still under review.

I saw several acceptances and rejections from the same department in the result research.  

I do not know what does that mean ?!!

Edited by Hani2015

I just finished a call with the civil engineering department at UCLA.

They said my application is still under review.

I saw several acceptances and rejections from the same department in the result research.  

I do not know what does that mean ?!!

At least, you are not rejected! maybe you are on the waitlist?

Hi everyone...

I hope by now some of you who wrote on here had already gotten the awaited answer, be it good or bad. Anyway, here's an update, I called the department and was informed by the admin officer that the official result will be released this Friday, if not latest by Wednesday for the Graduate Dean's Office to release it to the system. I did ask her if she has the result on her hand, she was hesitant and told me that she was not authorized to release it over the phone. How cruel...Anyway, from her tone, I could gauge that it is going to be a rejection for me...but for the rest of you, I wish you all the best! 

Why do they reject is waves?  I didn't get an interview at one place and some other people have been rejected before me.   I figure if they didn't give me an interview, I am going to get rejected, but why wait to send out the rejections?

Why do they reject is waves?  I didn't get an interview at one place and some other people have been rejected before me.   I figure if they didn't give me an interview, I am going to get rejected, but why wait to send out the rejections?

It seems that rejections as well as acceptances come in waves. At least for med school, I know that the waitlist is often ranked in terms of tiers - they pull from each tier to reassess candidates after they decide they need to. I wouldn't be surprised if waitlists for grad school worked in a similar fashion.

This would seem to imply (pure speculation on my part) that after the first wave of acceptances and rejections go out, and then enough acceptances turn that school down, they pull from the waitlist. It seems that the adcom might meet again at this point to go over the waitlist and determine another set of acceptances/rejections/interviews. After they decide this, they send out all these offers/rejections and that's why you see waves of notifications. It's probably the easiest way for them to operate (read:schedule) without literally ranking every single person that comes to interview/every application.

If you haven't heard back from the school, chances are you're on the waitlist and the school is saying "application under review" to keep you around. To be fair, the waitlist for a school is often just a safety measure for them - most schools send out a larger amount of acceptances than they have spots for in anticipation of people not accepting.

Hi everyone...

I hope by now some of you who wrote on here had already gotten the awaited answer, be it good or bad. Anyway, here's an update, I called the department and was informed by the admin officer that the official result will be released this Friday, if not latest by Wednesday for the Graduate Dean's Office to release it to the system. I did ask her if she has the result on her hand, she was hesitant and told me that she was not authorized to release it over the phone. How cruel...Anyway, from her tone, I could gauge that it is going to be a rejection for me...but for the rest of you, I wish you all the best! 

Hi ELB, I am really sorry to hear this. I will pray for your application, pray that you will face your result with peace no matter what it maybe. Please take a good care of yourself. You will be awesome, don't be dismayed by the application results. 

I have just received an answer from the University of Florida. So far, three out of five have rejected my application. I am desperately anxious for the forthcoming results! I do connect to everyone that posted saying their lives seemed on hold although the world isn't. 

I am a Brazilian college teacher, with a masters in business and really looking forward to getting a PhD in America. This would change my life completely... What a difficult wait! 

Good luck, everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,  

I hope those who posted on here had received your much anticipated news. Personally as a closure to this post, I finally received my official acceptance after 6 weeks of waiting in agony. For those who received news that might not be favorable on your end, please don't give up.  Once again, thank you for sharing your thoughts in here. It really helps to be connected with others who share the same concern with us. Take care and all the best for your future endeavor!

Congratulations EBL!!! So glad you got positive news in spite of that ominous phone call!

Kesiaro:

I hope those last two schools decide to accept you! Us internationals don't have it easy - and for many of us it would be the start of a new life!  I started studying with far too much confidence that I would get accepted to a PhD program, choosing a field where a doctoral degree is expected for any realistic shot at a career.

But here I am, with only two schools to go, one of them a waitlist, the other still "under review".  One acceptance email and my life could change forever in a second.  One simple notification and I am on my way!
Two more rejections and I face this all over again.  Menial, mindless labor, stagnation, waiting, agonizing...
I hope you get to come to America!  I hope you wake up tomorrow and find that notification that sends you on your way to a new life.