advice for engineering student interested in probability

Hi, thanks in advance. Over the past year I’ve become very interested in stats/applied math, especially probability/stochastic processes. I’ve been juggling the thought of applying to PhD programs for these areas. Could you kindly provide some advice/evaluation of my worthiness for top 10-20 programs? Here's my current profile.

DWM engineering PhD student at MIT/Stanford/Berkeley

have a national fellowship DOE/NDSEG/NSF

ugrad GPA: 3.9 (also in engineering)
grad GPA: 3.8
math GRE: would take after 6mo-1yr of practice

courses at MIT/Stanford/Berkeley:
ugrad level: linear algebra (A), probability (A), analysis (B+), complex analysis (B+), measure theory (A), functional analysis (A), PDE theory (A)
grad level (planned for next year): measure theory, functional analysis, PDE, year-long measure-theoretic probability sequence

The two B+ grades were from my very first theoretical math classes and I didn’t have the “math maturity” at the time. I spent considerable time self-studying after those two mediocre grades and managed to get good results in subsequent classes. I've completed an MS degree, but am still a few years from a PhD. I have two first-author journal publications in applied physics research.

I think I would try for stats PhD programs since I don’t have any abstract algebra background. Also, I’ll probably wait until I take the grad level math classes before applying. I know many people would be happy with my current school situation, but I just can’t go back to doing engineering after seeing what can be done with math.

Stanford, MIT, and Berkeley are three of the top four schools for probability in the U.S. (the other being NYU). If you are already a student at one of these schools, it should be pretty easy to either transfer departments, or simply work with a professor whose work you are interested in. I do not recommend that you reapply, unless you have other reasons for changing institutions.

I think you are fine - just remember to apply to a wide range of program and diversify the rankings a bit (so if you apply to let's say, 7 programs, I would not choose them among the top 7 programs but the top 15). Good luck!