Arizona vrs. Washington for literature PhD (gender/sexuality studies)

eviebee

Anyone have any insider information on these schools? I got full funding from both, but a much heavier teaching load at the University of Arizona (2-2 vs. 1-1). I'm more excited about the faculty at University of Washington, but Arizona has a really exciting gender studies program, and I could minor in that and do cross-disciplinary work. I've also heard rumors that the environment at University of Washington (Seattle) among graduates isn't great-- maybe because not everyone is funded? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I don't know much about Washington, but with Arizona, I would make sure your funding is guaranteed for the length of the program due to state budget cuts... However, that being said, Arizona, and Tucson in general is a great place for general studies and Tucson is an absolutely wonderful and affordable place to live (and the weather is fantastic, with lots of non-grad school things to enjoy around town). There is a vibrant community, and great housing options. That being said, it is an R1 and the stresses that come from being at that type of university are definitely felt by the graduate student population... as well as the heavier loads carried by TAs due to the state budget issues. I would ask some very candid questions about that when you visit or speak with the program. There are also some good university fellowships available for incoming students.

All in all, Gender Studies at UA is very visible and very involved in the university community - it's definitely a place where students can thrive.

Wait, this is for a PhD program? And you'd have to TA (teach?) two courses a semester at Arizona?! Nah, I'd go to Washington. Teaching a lot can really stretch out your time to degree and take away from your own ability to write publications and focus on yoru scholarship.

Wait, this is for a PhD program? And you'd have to TA (teach?) two courses a semester at Arizona?! Nah, I'd go to Washington. Teaching a lot can really stretch out your time to degree and take away from your own ability to write publications and focus on yoru scholarship.

Yes, for a PhD program...this is what I've been thinking too. Even if Tucson sounds a lot nicer than Seattle after this interminable winter.

My guess is that the difference in teaching is less than you think. Isn't UW on the quarter system? Unless you really get a quarter without TAing each year, then you're really comparing teaching 4 sections a year to teaching 3 sections a year. The 2-2 is common in English programs, I think, and is typically two sections of the same course with the numbers capped at 20 or below (at least from what I've seen at a few institutions). So, personally, I wouldn't let the teaching part persuade you. 

I would definitely ask questions about the longevity of the funding. For years, UW had the reputation of being a bit of a snake/viper pit because students had to compete against one another from one year to the next (and sometimes one quarter to the next) for funding. Seattle is a great city with awesome opportunities but, the cost of living is definitely higher there than it is in Tucson. The Gender and Women's Studies Program at Arizona is exciting and dynamic but there are also great gender theorists at Washington. The only difference there is that since Arizona requires a PhD minor, you could get some formal recognition for your gender studies coursework (not sure if the same option is available at UW). 

My guess is that the difference in teaching is less than you think. Isn't UW on the quarter system? Unless you really get a quarter without TAing each year, then you're really comparing teaching 4 sections a year to teaching 3 sections a year. The 2-2 is common in English programs, I think, and is typically two sections of the same course with the numbers capped at 20 or below (at least from what I've seen at a few institutions). So, personally, I wouldn't let the teaching part persuade you. 

I would definitely ask questions about the longevity of the funding. For years, UW had the reputation of being a bit of a snake/viper pit because students had to compete against one another from one year to the next (and sometimes one quarter to the next) for funding. Seattle is a great city with awesome opportunities but, the cost of living is definitely higher there than it is in Tucson. The Gender and Women's Studies Program at Arizona is exciting and dynamic but there are also great gender theorists at Washington. The only difference there is that since Arizona requires a PhD minor, you could get some formal recognition for your gender studies coursework (not sure if the same option is available at UW). 

Yeah, the UW TAship would be for 9 months out of the year, so three quarters. It's guaranteed for four years, and then I could apply for more in my 5th year. I'd also heard that about UW, but maybe now that funding is guaranteed, it's better? I did get the sense that not everyone was offered this package, though, so I wonder if that causes bad feelings. Oh, and UW does offer a certificate in Gender and Sexuality Studies, so that's something. Something I didn't realize until talking to the director further at UA was that they wouldn't be offering me advanced standing (I have an MFA), while UW would. So I'm looking at 4-5 years versus 6-7...that makes it hard to pick UA, even though there's a lot to like about it. Anyway, thank you so much for your thoughts!

Do grad students in UA's English department typically take 6-7 years to finish? When they say they aren't admitting you with "Advanced standing" do you mean that they're admitting you as someone that doesn't already have a MA? I ask because I'd be totally surprised if they didn't let you count any of the literature courses from your MFA program toward the coursework requirement for the PhD. You'd be amazed at how much counting even 9 credits can be helpful for finishing in a timely fashion. 

Four years of guaranteed funding at UW doesn't sound like it's enough for you to finish, to be honest. If Arizona is offering funding for more years, I'd lean in that direction. And yes, if not everyone is offered the same package, it will cause bad feelings. It'll be obvious when people are TAing or otherwise working outside the department and grumbling about it because they didn't get departmental funding. 

Do grad students in UA's English department typically take 6-7 years to finish? When they say they aren't admitting you with "Advanced standing" do you mean that they're admitting you as someone that doesn't already have a MA? I ask because I'd be totally surprised if they didn't let you count any of the literature courses from your MFA program toward the coursework requirement for the PhD. You'd be amazed at how much counting even 9 credits can be helpful for finishing in a timely fashion. 

Four years of guaranteed funding at UW doesn't sound like it's enough for you to finish, to be honest. If Arizona is offering funding for more years, I'd lean in that direction. And yes, if not everyone is offered the same package, it will cause bad feelings. It'll be obvious when people are TAing or otherwise working outside the department and grumbling about it because they didn't get departmental funding. 

Right, I would have to get my MA at UA first, though the director did say that up to 6 of my credits from my MFA coursework could transfer. He did say it was a slower MA than at some schools (you don't usually take the MA exam until the 6th semester), hence the 6-7 years. Also, different issue, but it seems like you know quite a bit about this-- how important would you say rankings are? 32nd for UW vs 52nd for UA. I definitely know it's not the first thing to consider, but seems like reputation could come into play in terms of trying to find a position after graduation. Thank you again for your input!!