Do you speak/read classical Nahuatl or Mixtec?

twentysix

I am likely attending Yale's Nahuatl program this summer. I was wondering if anyone has gone through it? If so, please offer any insight you have!

I already posted this thread in the Language section of the forum, but it didn't receive a single reply and this forum is chock full of highly educated folks! So I'll give it a try in the History section.

It's a really good program; I'm planning on doing it next year, and have several good friends who've had nothing but good things to say. That said, it's a fuckton of work, just be prepared for that.

It's a really good program; I'm planning on doing it next year, and have several good friends who've had nothing but good things to say. That said, it's a fuckton of work, just be prepared for that.

I am mildly intimidated by this, but I hope that it will get me from zero skill to close to being able to read a classical document in one summer. I intend to seek out some additional individual instruction during my MA.

• 2 weeks later...

Mvlchicago I was recently told that this is Yale's last year. I was told this by a nahuatl scholar that is not affiliated with Yale so he could be wrong, but I doubt it. UCLA will be starting a 4 week summer course.

Edited by twentysix

• 3 weeks later...

^ heads-up,  just heard back from the program and they don't anticipate this being the last year. So if any of y'all are reading for 2016 onwards, don't worry about it. 

Fantastic news!

For future people seeking out Nahuatl instruction remember that any title VI institution can grant you summer flas. You don't have to attend their university to get FLAS (in the summer) from them. Also Yale offers scholarships if you do not have FLAS. I was awarded a $2,000 scholarship for the summer.

Edited by twentysix

• 5 weeks later...

iirc, the formation of Yale's program came to be after the rise of cartel violence in Zacatecas. So, y'know, geopolitical modes of power format how knowledge is disseminated. Fun fun fun.

Edited by mvlchicago

iirc, the formation of Yale's program came to be after the rise of cartel violence in Zacatecas. So, y'know, geopolitical modes of power format how knowledge is disseminated. Fun fun fun.

I found a news release a while back from 1998 discussing the rise of the Nahuatl program at Yale. The release spoke of the year long courses they intended to create. I assume none of these materialized.

Edited by twentysix

I am not even sure there's a whole program in Mexico dedicated exclusively to study Nahuatl or Mixtec. I am very surprised Yale crafted such a specific program. Congratulations!

I believe San Diego State University teaches both Modern Nahuatl and Modern Mixtec during the academic year.

UCLA is also starting a Nahuatl program.

^ heads-up,  just heard back from the program and they don't anticipate this being the last year. So if any of y'all are reading for 2016 onwards, don't worry about it. 

Update on this, the program manager position at Yale in the Council on Latin American & Iberian Studies was eliminated a few weeks ago. I'm not sure what that means for the program for future years.

• 1 month later...

Update on this, the program manager position at Yale in the Council on Latin American & Iberian Studies was eliminated a few weeks ago. I'm not sure what that means for the program for future years.

After being in the program for two weeks, I now realize this has absolutely no bearing on the course. There is really no guarantee that it will stay at Yale either. The course is first and foremost through IDIEZ, which is great and should offer the program longevity!

The course is very good! I would suggest those seeking it out have very strong spanish, as 2 out of the 3 classes each day are taught exclusively in spanish.

Edited by twentysix