Biological sciences: U of Pitt V.S. Stony Brook

skyistars

Got an offer from U of Pitt MCDB Program and Stony Brook Genetics Program which cooperates with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory... Pretty struggling about making my decision. Love Pittsburgh this city but I think CSHL has much better biological science research than U of Pitt did.. anybody has any suggestions about making the choice? I see many alumni of U of Pitt do poorly in academic after they graduate... which is really the main reason gets me down. 

If you want to go into academia and Pitt alums aren't doing well with that, then don't go to Pitt. Yes, Pittsburgh is fun but, you'll find cool things to do in the Stony Brook area. If you get really bored, you can always take LIRR into Manhattan and hang out in NYC for a day. 

I went to SBU for a year and loved it...however, it is obscenely expensive to live on Long Island and while I did not do any work at CSHL (I was in a similar program that could go to CSHL) I have heard that the people there are difficult to work with as they are not used to having students.

The reason I left SBU was not because of SBU itself. The institution is awesome and the genetics program is great. I know several of their students personally and consider myself good friends with them. I had to leave due to family issues so don't think I left SBU because of something the school was doing. Also though, don't just take SBU because of CSHL.

• 1 month later...

I went to SBU for a year and loved it...however, it is obscenely expensive to live on Long Island and while I did not do any work at CSHL (I was in a similar program that could go to CSHL) I have heard that the people there are difficult to work with as they are not used to having students.

The reason I left SBU was not because of SBU itself. The institution is awesome and the genetics program is great. I know several of their students personally and consider myself good friends with them. I had to leave due to family issues so don't think I left SBU because of something the school was doing. Also though, don't just take SBU because of CSHL.

thank you for your reply. I end up going to Stony Brook. Will just see how life goes over there. If it ends up terribly, i will consider transfer. Where do you end up going after you left SBU?

If you want to go into academia and Pitt alums aren't doing well with that, then don't go to Pitt. Yes, Pittsburgh is fun but, you'll find cool things to do in the Stony Brook area. If you get really bored, you can always take LIRR into Manhattan and hang out in NYC for a day. 

Thank you for your help! I have been to NYC few times, and SBU is kinda far away from it. But since this is a Ph.D. program, the quality of a program is more important than the city itself. I will just see how life goes in SBU, if it is terrible and i don't like anything over there, I can always transfer! Really appreciate your help!