Biostatistics MS Pittsburgh admitted profile

Does anyone know the statistics of admitted applicants to Pittsburgh's Biostats MS program? This has been bugging me a lot.

My academic record, is absolute garbage, but I somehow got in.

GPA : 2.9 

Major GPA(Math): 2.5

GRE: V= 51% Q = 83% Writing = 36%

I didn't go to a prestigious university either just Ohio state... In fact I took an extra year (5 years) to finish my degree, currently in my last semester. I completely took a dump on some of the easiest math courses that were essential pre-requisites to the program like linear algebra and probability - C's in both classes. I failed a math course and had to retake an easier version of it and I had at least 9 W's throughout my college career.

I think I had 2 solid recommendations and 1 around average. I felt my personal statement was pretty solid too.

Just wondering what kinds of profiles is admitted to this program is it because I got in it means their standards are low? I was rejected into programs that were my safety net as well.

True the bar is lower but some of the top programs do release admission profiles and for masters it was generally 3.7 gpa 80%%+ gre q for the median. Plus I only applied to ms programs so yeah the bar should be relatively the same.

Think about the applicant pool of people who would be interested in this advanced degree though. The type of person who simply desires to attain a masters in biostatistics is likely to be the type of student who has an aptitude for quantitative reasoning to begin with. The number of admitted applicants with lower quality profiles may not be due to rejected applications, but largely in part that these applicants have no interest in applying to begin with. Student like yourself who apply with lower scores, probably consists of a relatively small group, and the desire for the MS degree is likely influenced by outside factors (life events, eye opening moments, etc.). Despite the sub-par academic record, I bet letters of rec and the personal statement play a much bigger role in these circumstances. 

I think in the case of unfunded masters admissions, it would be more telling to see the distribution of the applicant pool, or at least be presented upper and lower quantiles of GPA and GRE scores. I'd like to see the percentage of applicants accepted with a 2.9 GPA out of those that applied with similar GPAs and GRE scores, and further differentiate these students on some basis of subjective ranking/perception of their LORs and personal statements. Lastly, I'd like to see all the non-admission profiles for comparison. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I asked for some admission statistics, but apparently they don't release GPAs at all. The mean GRE scores was 88% Q and 61% V for accepted applicants though.

• 1 year later...

ooooooo I want to get into U Pitt!!! Here's my profile. Could you tell me if I am if I will get in?

GPA: 3.3 overall and GRE is 143 for verbal 153 for quantitative and I majored in Biology.

I am terrible at standardized tests

17 hours ago, MJC said:

ooooooo I want to get into U Pitt!!! Here's my profile. Could you tell me if I am if I will get in?

GPA: 3.3 overall and GRE is 143 for verbal 153 for quantitative and I majored in Biology.

I am terrible at standardized tests

I'm also a bio major with a similar GPA currently applying to M.S. Biostat programs. However, I scored 155+V and 160+Q on the GRE. I'm not good at standardized tests either, but just put in some elbow grease and you can do it too. B) I highly recommend Magoosh and Manhattan's 5lb book.

Assuming that you have all A's in your pre-req classes (Calc 1-3, Linear Algebra), I think you'll be in good shape if you can improve your GRE score. Even better if you can also take Probability, Math Stats, Intro Math Proofs, and score A's in those classes.

Edited by splanga

Outside of the most elite programs, Masters admission is often not terribly competitive. Few programs guarantee funding, and many are happy for any student that they judge has a reasonable chance of getting through the program to come and pay tuition.

Edited by cyberwulf

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2016 at 0:00 PM, cyberwulf said:

Outside of the most elite programs, Masters admission is often not terribly competitive. Few programs guarantee funding, and many are happy for any student that they judge has a reasonable chance of getting through the program to come and pay tuition.

What programs guarantee funding for MS admissions? Thanks

Vandy is the only program I know of that "guarantees" funding for all MS Biostat students, but its only an 80% tuition waiver and no other stipends. I don't think there are any biostat programs that guarantee full funding for all MS students. However, it seems like a modest number of programs offer scholarships, TA/RA positions, etc., if you're one of the top applicants. Just ask the departments directly and/or use GCF's admissions results page to gauge your chances of getting some funding.

If anyone has received a funded MS offer, I would love to hear about it.

Edited by splanga

Typically, funded MS offers are reserved for students that a program would very much like to "have around" as a potential future PhD student, but either didn't have the necessary quantitative preparation or didn't quite make the cut for PhD admission.