what is suitable to send in with your application?

alexc

Hi, I am applying to take an M.S. Financial planning and am wondering what else I could submit together with my application requirements that would improve my chances of acceptance. I don't have a good GPA for my B.A at 2.3. But I have been working as a financial planner for 4 years. Took my GRE last month with v: 156 q: 162 essay: 5.5. I am alsso in the midst of publishing a book I wrote and it is in its first draft phase, in the midst of editing by my publisher. I'd like to ask if it would help me application to send them a copy of my book in its first draft? I appreciate all suggestions and thoughts on it. Thanks!

Admissions committees don't have time to read books. Seriously, writing samples should be relatively short. If the book is relevant to your research interests, you could use one of the chapters as your writing sample and mention of your CV that you have a book in progress. If the book isn't relevant to your research, don't include it.

• 2 weeks later...

You should definitely mention that you're publishing a book! That would show the committee that you're willing to see a project through to completion. Don't send in the book though, just mention it in your personal statement.

I'd be careful about sending any materials that could be considered irrelevant/anything not solicited on the application. Mentioning the book on your CV/in your personal statement is fine; sending it in could be seen as pushy/annoying, and if it's an unpolished first draft it could also seem unprofessional. You could also simply ask admissions whether they are interested in seeing any of these supplementary materials, but be ready for them to say no.