Jump to content
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can I pull out after accepting the admission offer?


Ph(ea)D
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have been accepted to the PhD program in American Culture Studies at Bowling Green State University and I have to let them know by April 15 if I am accepting the offer. I am awaiting results from a couple of universities, which I would definitely prefer over BGSU. But I don't know when they will let me know. If I write to BGSU accepting their offer, will I be able to pull out of it if I am admitted to another university?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's considered really horrible form, and you will burn bridges in departments that way. Yes, you can provided it's before 15 April, but you really shouldn't do it that way. Emailed them and ask if they've come to a decision, because you have an offer you're attracted to but are anxious to hear from them as "your program is a prioritary choice." They often are prompted to respond to you then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Definitely do not do this unless as a last resort. Contact the other programs, as palaeopathetic suggested. If email doesn't work, calling might get you a more immediate answer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What happens if you change your mind after April 15? Funding doesn't seem to be like what they had told me. Now I'm learning of many stipulations that I don't feel comfortable with. I'm still doing more research, but what if I change my mind after April 15?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, if you change your mind after April 15, the most practical and immediate consequence is that you might not have another offer to switch to. Almost all of our offers expire on April 15.

 

Other than that, there's no difference really, the above comments about burning bridges still apply. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What happens if you change your mind after April 15? Funding doesn't seem to be like what they had told me. Now I'm learning of many stipulations that I don't feel comfortable with. I'm still doing more research, but what if I change my mind after April 15?

 

TakeruK is right. I'd like to add a little:

 

If I were you, instead of outright rejecting the offer, I'd call them ASAP and indicate that you want to talk about a few of your concerns over the offer. Make them go over the funding offer and its terms, and what that means in practical terms for you regarding workload (if it's a TA/research assistantship, etc.), whether it's enough to live off of or if you'll have to get more money elsewhere (I would strongly recommend not accepting a partially-funded offer, as you won't be able to focus on your studies as well), and any other worries you can think of. Then, decide.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.