Profile Evaluation for MS statistics or ML

QGim

Dear all,

I graduated about a year ago and have been working as a data analyst whilst pursuing my interest in topics such as statistical analysis, machine learning, and data mining. I have been studying the topics by reading textbooks, taking online courses, and creating weekly meeting study groups. But in order to better understand the topics, I find myself eager to go deeper in my studies in a more formal setting.

So I want to get an evaluation of my profile and want to know how to strengthen my chance of getting a good program.

My profile is :

I am an international

Undergrad: US institution, top 15 national university in US News

Majors in mathematics and economics, GPA 3.61

Pretty bad grades from junior level math courses: matrix algebra (B+), calc. of several variables (B-), foundations for higher mathematics ( B)

I was mainly interested in statistics so the senior courses I took are:

Probability (A-)

Mathematical statistics (A)

Intro to Bayesian stats (A)

Linear stats models (B+)

Advanced linear stats models (A)

Statistical computation (A)

Survival analysis (B+)

Awarded Distinction in Mathematics

gre scores: V 155, Q 166, W 3.5

Three letters of recommendation from math professors. I have known two of them for years and taken classes.

I am thinking of applying for FL 2016. What should I do to strengthen my chance? I am worried about my low gpa.

Also I want to do something productive after work to prepare for grad school.

(I am not sure what I really want to do after master tho. I might work as a research assistant of a professor or in a research institute bc I am kind of interested in pursuing phd too)

Thank you all in advance!

Best, 

Edited by TakeruK
edited a personal detail

The GPA isn't great, as you pointed out, but I think you would be competitive at some decent MS programs (e.g., UCLA), but the top tier programs may be tough (Stanford, Berkeley come to mind). Although your stats grades are good, I think your math grades will matter more, so you definitely have a challenge.

Since you're an economics major, you can try to get a job at the Fed, IMF, or World Bank (or similar institutions) and work as an RA for a couple years. Maybe take some more math classes on the side (e.g., Real Analysis). I work for one of the places I mentioned, and I was able to write a Working Paper, which I think set me apart from other candidates.

The GPA isn't great, as you pointed out, but I think you would be competitive at some decent MS programs (e.g., UCLA), but the top tier programs may be tough (Stanford, Berkeley come to mind). Although your stats grades are good, I think your math grades will matter more, so you definitely have a challenge.

Since you're an economics major, you can try to get a job at the Fed, IMF, or World Bank (or similar institutions) and work as an RA for a couple years. Maybe take some more math classes on the side (e.g., Real Analysis). I work for one of the places I mentioned, and I was able to write a Working Paper, which I think set me apart from other candidates.

I didn't know MS programs are competitive.

Would getting a high score from GRE subject be helpful?

I think getting a job at the research institutions you mentioned is pretty hard in my current situation.