Ask for Decision Extension

So, as of now, I've only heard back from one school. (I applied late in the cycle.) That school has extended an offer to me, but it's not at all my top choice. 

I'm scared I won't hear back from the other schools before the April 15th deadline they gave me to make my decision. I've only heard from one school so far, so I'm scared to turn them down and then get rejected at all the others. With that said, it's not at all my top choice, so I don't want to accept them and then get admitted somewhere else. Also, I have to pay a significant, non-refundable fee to secure my spot. 

Is it okay to ask for more time to make my decision? If so, do you have any advice on how to word that request or sample language?

I did this with two of my schools and one said yes, and the other said no. So, that said, the worst that can happen is that they say "no" and you know where to go from there I suppose. 

I did this with two of my schools and one said yes, and the other said no. So, that said, the worst that can happen is that they say "no" and you know where to go from there I suppose. 

How much extra time did they give you? 

One said no, they wouldn't extend at all, and the other gave me an extra five days.

That said, though I'd say go for a week, and just be extra polite and clear about it. Don't forget many graduate program faculty have also been in your shoes and it never hurts to ask.

Just explain your dilemma in simple words. Maybe say you will have to wait for more funding to come in or that your financial situation doesn't allow you to take a decision immediately. I got extensions from two schools and rejected from another