Can I Apply To Multiple Apartments?

sackofcrap

So, this is not directly related to graduate school, but more so related to housing.

So I am going to be living off campus in an apartment when I go to graduate school. Now, the town where my college is located is a full blown college town and a lot of the apartment complexes cater to students, so sometimes they will have specials going on and things like that.

Well, I have two potential apartment complexes that I want to apply to and I wondering if it is okay to apply to both? Generally I wouldn't do this because of cost, but both complexes are running specials where they are waiving all application fees. So, is this an okay thing to do? What will happen if I am approved at both places?

This will be my first time renting an apartment by myself, without a guarantor. 

There's nothing weird about applying to multiple apartments at once, and it doesn't ding your credit score too bad. If you're approved at both places, just pick one and let the other know.

As long as you don't sign anything stating that you are obligated to pay for a deposit or anything like that it shouldn't be an issue to look at more than one. If they both approve you, just tell the one you don't want to live at that you changed your mind.

I think it's pretty common for people to apply to multiple apartment complexes since you don't know if you'll be accepted. I did it a couple of years ago when I moved to a college town, just to make sure I'd have some place to live.