What to do: offered interview off waitlist from number 2 school but still waiting on number one school

sc1088

Hello everybody. 

I just have a quick question. I am just offered an interview from my second best school (all funded) and since I don't have any better offer yet, I accepted to have an interview soon. But, I am waiting on my number one school as well and they told me that I'm in a small waitlist.

Maybe this is too early to say anything, but if I get an admission off the waitlist after the interview, how long will I have to decide on the offer? As much as I'm desperate about this second best school, I really like my first best school and want to wait for their decision and decide. Will I still get the April 15th deadline?

No one can answer these questions for you other than the school that makes you the offer. I would guess that if you get the offer before the 15th, that may be the deadline for the decision, or you may be able to ask to extend it by a little bit because the offer came so last minute. At the end of the day, though, it seems pretty clear that you have to go with the offer you have over the one you wish you had.

Can't you just accept the first offer you get and then later turn it down if a better offer is later offered?

You can, but you'll burn bridges and this is not recommended except as a last resort.

If you do get an offer and are still waiting for your first choice school to respond, wait until a few days before the deadline they give you. If you still have not heard from your first choice, ask if you can get an extension. Only consider accepting with the possibility of rescinding your offer if they say no, and even then, I would wait as long as I could before accepting.

Thank you for your replies. I think I'll just hold on to the waitlisted top choice school also... Little unethical, but can't give up my top choice!

Thank you for your replies. I think I'll just hold on to the waitlisted top choice school also... Little unethical, but can't give up my top choice!

There is absolutely nothing unethical about it. Wait until you know your options.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use