Columbia vs Edinburgh MS

Hi,

I've done a BEng in Aeronautics and Astronautics at Southampton and have decided to switch fields but hope to work on engineering applications in the future. I am interested in machine learning (with an emphasis on Stats) and have gotten an offer from both Columbia and Edinburgh for their MS programs. From what I read, both schools are pretty good in the field but Columbia seems to have more limited ML courses as compared to Edinburgh. Through the MS, I want to figure out if I should do a PhD and that's a consideration in my decision process. Also, I have read about the relative ease of obtaining a job in Europe if you got your MS there and vice versa, so does anyone know how's the market looking on both continents? 

Btw, does anyone know how UCL's CSML program compare to the above programs? I have applied to it and have yet to hear back. And how good is Gatsby now with Zoubin and Yee Whye gone?

Cheers,

Sky

Edited by a_technicolor_skye

Also, I have read about the relative ease of obtaining a job in Europe if you got your MS there and vice versa, so does anyone know how's the market looking on both continents? 

Would you be an international student? I am not sure but from what I heard the visa rules for MS students are pretty bad in UK because you dont get any extension after graduation.

Btw, does anyone know how UCL's CSML program compare to the above programs? I have applied to it and have yet to hear back. And how good is Gatsby now with Zoubin and Yee Whye gone?

Edinburgh looks better in terms of the faculty. But there are still some great people at UCL - Jonh Shawe-Taylor, Sebastian Riedel, David Barber.

But since for MS you are going to do coursework mostly and less research, Edinburgh is still better in my opinion.

Edited by SaulGoodman

Would you be an international student? I am not sure but from what I heard the visa rules for MS students are pretty bad in UK because you dont get any extension after graduation.

Edinburgh looks better in terms of the faculty. But there are still some great people at UCL - Jonh Shawe-Taylor, Sebastian Riedel, David Barber.

But since for MS you are going to do coursework mostly and less research, Edinburgh is still better in my opinion.

I am an international student. Could you tell me what you know about the UK visa rules for MS students and US visa rules as well? 

Are you implying that UCL is better than Edinburgh for research but Edinburgh has better teaching quality. If so why?

Do you know anything about Columbia's teaching quality and reputation?

Thanks for all the information.

I am an international student. Could you tell me what you know about the UK visa rules for MS students and US visa rules as well? 

Are you implying that UCL is better than Edinburgh for research but Edinburgh has better teaching quality. If so why?

From what I heard, MS students in UK don't get any extension on visa to look for jobs. So they have to search for jobs before their last semester ends and if they find a job then the company will sponsor the visa. This can be tough since you have a 1 year MS there which might mean pretty intensive coursework. In US you get some extension on the visa during which you can look for jobs, or even without that 2 years means you can budget more time in last sem for this.

I think Edinburgh is better than UCL in terms of research, but that depends of which particular sub-areas you are interested in. I have no idea of teaching quality. 

You have any info on the funding scene for MS at Columbia??

Edited by SaulGoodman