How my dad matters?

Jang

It's uncommon case, but I really have been working with my dad, he's a professor in social science. we and others cooperated papers, also 2 projects.

But I am very puzzled to mention him in my Statement. One way, the comittee may be delighted to see that I was brought up in a scholaric family. But I fear anything that may hint nepotism, sometimes people can't help thinking whether there was any nepotism between us.

How do you think it will go in these 2 direction? Good family atmosphere or Nepotism? should I mention him in application?

If I were on an admissions committee, i would wonder why you weren't staying to study with your father and if you'd be able to hold up in grad school without him. A fleeting mention might be alright since he's obviously a huge part of your experience, but don't leave them still wanting to know the answers to those questions. Deeply emphasize your independence and why you want THEIR school

• 3 weeks later...
It's uncommon case, but I really have been working with my dad, he's a professor in social science. we and others cooperated papers, also 2 projects.

But I am very puzzled to mention him in my Statement. One way, the comittee may be delighted to see that I was brought up in a scholaric family. But I fear anything that may hint nepotism, sometimes people can't help thinking whether there was any nepotism between us.

How do you think it will go in these 2 direction? Good family atmosphere or Nepotism? should I mention him in application?

Well, I think you should certainly play up your family experience. Obviously try to set yourself apart from him for the most part, but growing up in an academic family should alert ad-comms that you know what the life of an academic is like.

I would avoid submitting one of your co-authored papers as your writing sample, however. Most department websites advise against that. Note the publications on your academic resume, and talk about the process in your statement of purpose. I would also avoid using your father as a letter of recommendation writer (because he's obviously not going to give them the whole truth about you, warts and all).

Good luck on the TOEFL. :wink: