What to do after M.Sc. molecular biology

Arq!

I recently finished my masters in Molecular Biology and I am trying to make up my mind between starting a phD or switching gears and joining Industry. I want to eventually leave academia and either join industry or do consulting even after phD but I see all sorts of concerns online, like getting a job after phD is more difficult because you're over qualified in a super narrow field of study.  Also, if one thinks of making the switch this early how does one go about doing it ? 

All sorts of suggestions are welcome, I am really need to make a decision asap !

Hey MidwesternAloha ! Thanks for the prompt reply. I think reaching a stage of not having to be in the lab much can take a very long time in academia. I could be wrong too but that's what I have mostly seen. What kind of work is usually available in industries ? Does anybody know of any good industrial phD programs ?

Edited by Arq!

I think the decision should be based on the job you want to do:  do you want to be a professor, manager, grant-writer, etc and spend little time in the lab?  Then pursue a PhD.  Do you enjoy actually being in the lab and doing stuff?  Stick with the MSc.  

I don't know if I necessarily agree with this. There are definitely opportunities to perform lab-work in industry. My current boss (in industry) has a PhD and works alongside me and others that he manages (albeit with much less frequency than myself or those others). However, the general gist is probably correct - PhDs typically spend less time in the lab, more time pushing projects forward at a higher managerial level.

What kind of work is usually available in industries ? Does anybody know of any good industrial phD programs ?

I can't really comment on an industrial PhD program, because i'm not really sure what that is, but with a masters degree in Biology (I'm assuming a research component), you can be an RA or SRA (E2 or E3) at many biotech or pharmaceutical companies. This would most likely mean you don't get your own project to work on (SRAs usually get their own project), but rather are under the jurisdiction of your boss. The majority of the people I work with have at least a masters and are at the SRA (or above) level.

Also, if one thinks of making the switch this early how does one go about doing it ? 

I'm not entirely sure what this part means - are you asking how someone switches from academia to industry? Could you elaborate more about what you're concerned with this switch?

Edited by SublimePZ

Okay ! So here is the deal. I love studying biology, especially genetics, immunology, oncology and everything related to gene expression ! But I am not sure if I am wired for research. If it was on me, I'd remain a student my entire life and keep studying and learning more about these topics. Unfortunately, I gotta pay bills. Now I am in a fix if I should do research, or switch to industry and do something not so research based (I have no clue what exactly). And after spending 6 years working on Molecular biology it is getting really hard for me to blaze another trail for myself.