Another Program Decision Topic: MAS vs PhD

Hi All,

I am currently deciding between a few PhD (generally ranked in the 15-30 range in NRC/US News) programs and Michigan's Master of Applied Statistics Program. I am just wondering if I am being crazy for potentially passing up guaranteed funding offers in favor of an MAS program that doesn't guarantee funding (though I understand that a GSI position is very likely, as I am a domestic student).

A little background on my goals and why I am strongly considering the MAS program:

1) I am undecided as to whether I ultimately want a PhD. It seems to me that an MAS would play better in terms of industry jobs than the incidental MS earned along the way to a PhD (should I drop from a PhD program).

2) If I decided to pursue a PhD, I could reapply during my second year. I understand that an MAS isn't a natural transition into a PhD program; however, I would plan on taking Real Analysis, Measure Theory, and Measure-Theoretic Probability (and whatever other higher-level Stats/Math courses my schedule would allow) while enrolled.

3) I was "shut out" of the top schools that I applied to this year so to speak. I understand that ranking isn't everything, but my hyper-competitive side wants to see if I can improve on that. I believe that the two weakest points on my application were (I) the lack of higher-level math courses and (II) the lack of strong academic recommendations. Hopefully, I would be able to fix those two while doing the MAS. Of course, if the primary reasons for my rejections were something else, then I'm SOL.

4) Flexibility: as I mentioned before, I'm undecided as to whether I want a masters or PhD. Further, I'm still trying to decide whether I want to go into academia/industry and have no clue what my research interests are. A couple of the programs I'm considering seem geared towards industry placement, which would not be so great if I were trying to find an academic job. Hopefully, I'd be able to decide whether I was more interested in academia or industry during the next two years and plan accordingly. Also, taking more graduate level courses would hopefully give me a better idea of what I'd be interested in researching if I decided to pursue a PhD.

My questions would therefore be:

1) Am I correct in thinking that an MAS is a better degree for industry placement than the incidental MS along the way to a PhD program (or does it really not matter)?

2) Is doing an MAS with a heavy dose of higher-level math/theoretical statistics courses likely to improve my chances at a top-tier PhD program?

3) Would all of this be a lot of work for marginal gain?

4) Once again, am I crazy for considering this option in favor of my offers at PhD programs?

Edited by Newton01

I'm not very familiar with the masters program (you probably know more than I), but it seems like a pretty terminal program to me. Some masters programs are decent ways to buff up your PhD application, but Michigan's doesn't seem to be one of those. It might be possible to take some of the PhD classes and additional math, but it doesn't seem like it's standard and the terminal reputation of the program probably won't help too much in PhD applications. This is in contrast to some other masters programs that I've heard of, which are more connected to the associated PhD program.

I don't think there will be a real difference for industry jobs between the MAS and getting a masters along the way at a PhD program. This probably depends more on the individual programs than anything, as most programs place very well into nearby industry. 

I think that 3) is probably an accurate statement. It's your decision, but I doubt that spending the extra year (and possible significant money) at a masters program would be worth it. If you have a solid funded offer, which is sounds like you do, I would recommend taking it.

1) Am I correct in thinking that an MAS is a better degree for industry placement than the incidental MS along the way to a PhD program (or does it really not matter)?

I don't think the MAS degree will be better for jobs than leaving a PhD program with an MS. If you're going to be taking a good deal of PhD-level or PhD-preparatory coursework during your MAS, then you're not getting more practical applied statistics experience than a PhD student elsewhere will. A PhD student who starts working on research and then leaves will probably be more employable than a MAS student who did lots of theoretical courses (but no research) because they'll at least have some experience working on a bigger project, solving a lot of annoying technical problems that don't come up with clean homework problems, etc. Interviewers love to hear concrete examples of things you've done, so for employment, being able to take more applied classes where you have projects is what you'd want to do.

As I see it, the main difference employment-wise is if it's just easier to find jobs out of Michigan than the PhD programs you're considering for geographic or recruiting connection reasons. Michigan certainly carries some national name cachet.

2) Is doing an MAS with a heavy dose of higher-level math/theoretical statistics courses likely to improve my chances at a top-tier PhD program?

3) Would all of this be a lot of work for marginal gain?

4) Once again, am I crazy for considering this option in favor of my offers at PhD programs?

Well, if Michigan does admit PhD students out of its MAS cohorts, then going there would be a good move for you to try to get into that particular program. I don't know if that is the case. You did say you got into PhD programs ranked around 15-30, though, and rank ~15 is pretty high and not far off from Michigan!

Do you have a sense of how realistic it is to actually be enough of a standout student in the Michigan MAS cohort to get into top-ranked PhD programs? Did you find out about students who have gone on from there to PhDs? At least in my department, most of the master's students are mathematically strong students from foreign universities who do well in theory courses. Especially if you're taking mostly theoretical courses to beef up your background, keep in mind there could be non-negligible competition for good grades and recommendations.

I personally lean towards recommending you accept one of your funded PhD offers, but if it doesn't feel right then so be it.