University of Western Ontario's MPH Program?

kayden28

Hey everyone,

I received an acceptance by phone today for UWO's MPH program. As I was scrolling through threads though, I noticed not a lot of people talk about UWO or seem to apply/attend. Is there any particular reason? Should I be concerned about accepting the offer? Can anyone tell me a bit about the program and why it doesn't seem to be as popular?

I also applied to UW but received a rejection and I'm still waiting to hear back from McMaster.

Thank you  :)

Hi, I liked the program, but being a undergrad without the experience (I think they wanted 3-5 years I am unsure) I could not apply. London is also too far for me hence  and the biggest reason was the tuition of the program itself, I believe it is one of the most expensive MPH programs in Canada (I could be wrong) but it is around $30,000 and I just don't have that kind of money as of yet. I also got rejected from Waterloo but accepted at McMaster so will most likely be going there 

Hi,

I thought about this program for about a second. Then I saw that the tuition was rediculously exensive and it is a fairly new program. I don't know why they think they can charge that much for a program. Especially since Public Health jobs are not that lucrative. Maybe it is because the Principal of UWO made 924K last year....got topay him somehow! (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/amit-chakma-western-university-president-to-give-back-half-of-924k-salary-1.3018799).

$20 000 or $30 000 (however much it is), is highway roberry, and clearly this program is only for rich people who did not get in elsewhere.

My 2 cents.

i, I liked the program, but being a undergrad without the experience (I think they wanted 3-5 years I am unsure) I could not apply. London is also too far for me hence  and the biggest reason was the tuition of the program itself, I believe it is one of the most expensive MPH programs in Canada (I could be wrong) but it is around $30,000 and I just don't have that kind of money as of yet. I also got rejected from Waterloo but accepted at McMaster so will most likely be going there 

Grad1515, thank you so much for replying!! I'm relieved that it doesn't have to do with the program prestige, and wow, I didn't realize the tuition cost was so different between UWO and other schools. Perhaps it has to do with the case-based approach they take? But even then, that's still quite expensive. If I get into Mac's MSc in Global Health, and it's not as expensive, maybe I'll re-think my decision. So much to consider, ahh!   :unsure:

Edited by kayden28

Hi,

I thought about this program for about a second. Then I saw that the tuition was rediculously exensive and it is a fairly new program. I don't know why they think they can charge that much for a program. Especially since Public Health jobs are not that lucrative. Maybe it is because the Principal of UWO made 924K last year....got topay him somehow! (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/amit-chakma-western-university-president-to-give-back-half-of-924k-salary-1.3018799).

$20 000 or $30 000 (however much it is), is highway roberry, and clearly this program is only for rich people who did not get in elsewhere.

My 2 cents.

While it is super expensive, I don't think it's fair to entirely write off the entire program as one for "rich people who did not get in elsewhere." You don't know whether people did or didn't get in anywhere and what their financial, living and family situation is. I also really like the unique case-based approach which plays well to the strengths of students who did a great deal of case work in their undergrad. $30k is definitely difficult but it doesn't mean someone didn't get in elsewhere. Thanks for your input though.

While it is super expensive, I don't think it's fair to entirely write off the entire program as one for "rich people who did not get in elsewhere." You don't know whether people did or didn't get in anywhere and what their financial, living and family situation is. I also really like the unique case-based approach which plays well to the strengths of students who did a great deal of case work in their undergrad. $30k is definitely difficult but it doesn't mean someone didn't get in elsewhere. Thanks for your input though.

Hi Kayden,

Yes sorry that was a bit harsh. It is true that many people who go there probably got in elsewhere too, but I do think it the cost makes it more elitest/unattainable to many. Also I agree with you that there are many reasons why people may want to go to UWO. UWO is a good school with a good reputation so you won't lose out by going there, you just may carry a little bit more debt than people graduating elsewhere.

I would suggest that you find a facebook group for MPH at UWO (from some previous years) and just try to message a few people in the groups to see what their opinions are.

Best of luck.

Edited by radica

Grad1515, thank you so much for replying!! I'm relieved that it doesn't have to do with the program prestige, and wow, I didn't realize the tuition cost was so different between UWO and other schools. Perhaps it has to do with the case-based approach they take? But even then, that's still quite expensive. If I get into Mac's MSc in Global Health, and it's not as expensive, maybe I'll re-think my decision. So much to consider, ahh!   :unsure:

Their case-based approach is nothing special.  Most other public health programs will incorporate case-based learning or problem-based learning into their courses.

At UofT, the Intro to Public Health course is almost entirely case-based.  Most of my other public health courses (with the exception of Public Health Policy) also incorporated case-based learning and problem-based learning, while also using other learning/teaching methods.

Edited by RunnerGrad

• 2 years later...

Hi there,

If I am coming straight from undergrad (with one year off working - not in the healthcare field though) with volunteer experience/course work in the healthcare field, would they still consider me? I do not see on their website where it says you need at least a few years of work experience in the healthcare field in order to apply.

Thanks!