SSHRC Research Proposal

Canofbeans

So I'm getting ready to apply for a SSHRC doctoral award and I need some help from those who have already applied and won.

I'm just wondering if the structure is supposed to be similar to that of the MA or grad applications (i.e. just a page detailing research interest and past research..) Or should it have a specific structure (i.e. Program of research, objectives, methodology, context, etc.). If anyone has a sample to share, that would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

Hi,

The Doctoral SSHRC app should definitely have a specific structure. There are instructions with the applications materials, but my notes from last year's application are:

* Clearly state your current level of graduate study;

* Indicate what stage you are at in your thesis;

* Provide the name of your supervisor of doctoral studies, if known;

* Provide an outline of your thesis proposal, including, for example, the research question, context, objectives, methodology and contribution to the advancement of knowledge;

* Describe what you hope to accomplish during the award tenure and what will remain to be done before you obtain your degree.

The grantscrafter at my school even suggested that you could provide subheadings to clearly indicate where you'll discuss your research question, your methodology, your previous work, etc. Hope that helps! It will also depend somewhat on what field you're in.

Ask your department for old/sample winning proposals, they usually have some kicking around.

• 1 month later...

So I'm getting ready to apply for a SSHRC doctoral award and I need some help from those who have already applied and won.

I'm just wondering if the structure is supposed to be similar to that of the MA or grad applications (i.e. just a page detailing research interest and past research..) Or should it have a specific structure (i.e. Program of research, objectives, methodology, context, etc.). If anyone has a sample to share, that would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

They post a list of winners on the web site. I wrote to a few and was amazed by the helpful responses I got. More advice than from my own department.

http://www.sshrc.ca/site/winning-recherche_subventionnee/results-resultats-eng.aspx