Time Crunch: UMD (PhD in Applied Statistics) vs. GW (PhD in Biostatistics)

kgbfan

I can't emphasize enough how grateful I am to all of you for taking the time to provide your take on the situation.  8 people said UMD and 2 said GW, so UMD it is! :P

But in all seriousness, after sleeping on it and having an in-depth discussion with my partner about which program was more conducive to my long-term career goals, I have decided to go with UMD!  My intuition tells me I would be downright miserable taking night classes while working full time.  Some people are equipped to handle that, but I feel like I'm not, at least not without becoming burned out in the process.  Besides, I just can't pass up a guaranteed 5 year funding package over a position that is less certain.  Having the peace of mind is worth the smaller stipend to me.  In fact, the more I ruminate on the issue, the more I realize I don't want to go down the path that a biostatistics degree would lead me down.  It turns out that I am finding myself more excited about the research I could potentially be doing at UMD than at GW.  With all this in mind, UMD seems like the best choice for me.  I will be accepting their offer first thing tomorrow. :D

Edited by kgbfan