Chances at Econ Phd with Statistics masters

bsatyadarshi

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if some folks here can help me with the following.

I did my masters in Statistics from Indian Statistical Institute and passed in first division with distinction with a pretty good GPA (this is considered as the best institute for statistics in India) in 2006 and have been working in the corporate sector which involves application of statistics, mathematics and machine learning.

Recently, I have been more interested in economics and would like to go for a Phd in the same. However, my problem is though I have had training in almost all advanced math and stat. courses, I didn't have too many economics courses at my masters or undergraduation except one micro-econ course I took at my masters.

Assuming I will get good GRE scores and I will also get good recommendations from my former profs and supervisors in my current organization, I was wondering what my chances are at a good (say, in top 20) econ phd programs? I am confident of getting into some good statistics phd programs. But at this point, I am more interested in economics. If I don't stand any chance of making it to the top 20 because of my lack of econ background, I would rather try for statistics.

Any suggestions please?

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if some folks here can help me with the following.

I did my masters in Statistics from Indian Statistical Institute and passed in first division with distinction with a pretty good GPA (this is considered as the best institute for statistics in India) in 2006 and have been working in the corporate sector which involves application of statistics, mathematics and machine learning.

Recently, I have been more interested in economics and would like to go for a Phd in the same. However, my problem is though I have had training in almost all advanced math and stat. courses, I didn't have too many economics courses at my masters or undergraduation except one micro-econ course I took at my masters.

Assuming I will get good GRE scores and I will also get good recommendations from my former profs and supervisors in my current organization, I was wondering what my chances are at a good (say, in top 20) econ phd programs? I am confident of getting into some good statistics phd programs. But at this point, I am more interested in economics. If I don't stand any chance of making it to the top 20 because of my lack of econ background, I would rather try for statistics.

Any suggestions please?

Missing Economics wont hurt ur chances, specially wen u apply to US unis. I have witnessed many physicists and mathematicians in PhD Econ here. Bcz they give you basic economics courses in first yr o PhD. But in UK its different, even then, basic economics is not something you wont get by reading books...u can mention in ur applciation ur readings.

Economcis departments want statistics courses, but prefer if u have doen 'em from maths department instead of stats.

Best o luk!

• 2 months later...

if ur really interested in goin for econ phd, then i'd sugest u to join a 2 year taught msc at lse, havin a master frm ISI, u can easily land on eme program, keep in mind, no matter what u join, make sure it is 2 year and not 1!

i guess u can easily get into 2 year eme program wid TA position. keepin in mind ur masters, eme shud not be a VERY hard nut to crak, it shud not be abnormally challenging for u, as wid others wid bachelor degree.

havin said this, u can also consider applyn to oxford's mphil program, again a 2 year one.

im sure thes programs can take u to top 10 us econ depts.

man, i myself hav seen guys got placed in nyu, princeton and som other top-10 from ISI's MSQE program, wy not try that?

i hav seen guys sacrificed 5 years for joinin elite program, so, if u belev ur so determined to do elite program, then im sure u can make it wid ur isi master background, scores, gre, lors, etc,.

Edited by undreamtdeer