Help! URGENT: Accepted the offer at school A, but my top choice school B just sent me an offer letter

jaganjacob91

Hello all, 

Initially I got an offer from school A and was denied by school B (was told there was no more seats available). So I took to take the offer at school A and even started the I-20 form procedure/University ID creation/housing application etc. But few hours ago (i.e. after April 15th), my top choice school B informed me about an additional seat there and asked if I am interested in joining there. I would really love to join school B but at the same time would it be extremely unprofessional on my side if I withdraw my acceptance at school A? Also, is it even against the contract/illegal to pull out after April 15th? I really don't want to burn any bridges, but at the same time school B is my dream school. 

Thanks

there is no rule. it is just about having good relations and propriety. But, in your case, there is leeway because you got offer from dream school at last moment. I would choose B without any issues.

Very similar thing happened to me, except I managed to resolve it before April 15th.

I will give the same advice that everyone (including the supervisor that I had to rescind the offer from) - a program will not want disinterested students or students that are not fully committed. It may seem brutally honest, but I went through the same thing as well. As long as you tell them your reasons, and you don't over emphasize which program is better than the other, you should be fine!

Definitely accept the offer at your top choice, assuming there are no visa issues - you need to look after yourself first. School A has probably poached students before, anyway.

Thinking my chance at school B (my dream school) is over, I started talking about research and life at school A to multiple professors at school A. I feel like I have built a very good first impression with them. But school B is my dream school. I wish they had sent the offer before April 15! 

I know this is once in a lifetime opportunity to study at a school I had dreamt for since the start of the application season, but I feel really guilty of wasting the time of graduate office and international students office at school A.

Will this withdrawal after April 15 negatively affect my reputation in the academic circle? Will it affect placement in a school after 5 years? ( I think I am starting to get paranoia) :(  :unsure:  :wacko:  :blink:

Btw, thanks a lot for your input guys. Thank God for gradcafe and its members! :D