UMass Amherst

WiseLatina

I'm heading to UMass Amherst in the fall, history department! Didn't see this one listed, so thought I'd do it and see who's out there. I'm coming from NYC, so this is a big change. Anyone else?

I'm also joining UMass in the fall, in the computer science department. I'm pretty excited! I'm not sure when is the best time to do the apartment search and everything - do you know when/how you'll be going about that?

I'm also joining UMass in the fall, in the computer science department. I'm pretty excited! I'm not sure when is the best time to do the apartment search and everything - do you know when/how you'll be going about that?

Hey! awesome! I've already started looking. There's a site for off-campus housing where you can search for rentals and roommates and that's what I'm using. Having posted a profile there, I'm actually also receiving emails from people with homes in the area looking to rent out rooms. Seems this is my best bet until I'm actually there and can look through craigslist for next year's housing. Here is the site: http://www.umocss.org/

I've posted there too (the only new graduate profile going into CS, I think), and it's been really helpful! However, I feel like I don't have much of a gauge on when most fall leases will be available (early summer, late summer?), so I'm still trying to figure out when to visit.

Are you still looking for a roommate? I'm hoping to live with at least one other person and would love to talk!

Hi! I'm glad to see someone's posted for UMass. I'm attending in the fall, as well, but as a Master's student in the English department. Actually, I'm from Massachusetts and my brother attended UMass for undergrad, so I know that usually students start looking for apartments in the spring time. I found my place through the off campus housing site. Also, I know that, for the years he lived there, my brother's one year leases would start at the beginning of the summer (as in: from June to June) and he would sublet out to someone for the months he didn't live in Amherst. Realtors will sometimes offer to help with that, as well, but if you're like me, you'll probably be avoiding realtors at all costs. 

Also, I'll let you know: I'm not a pro with the area, but I've heard from multiple sources that Northampton is a really fun place to live. I drove through the downtown area and it was really cute! I saw a cool looking music venue, and I've been told that it's "hip and laid back," if that's what you're looking for! My place that I'm staying is in a neat neighborhood in Northampton and I'm very excited about it!

Oh, sorry! I should have specified. The place I found is actually month to month (which is such a lucky find!) and so I'm moving in this September. The house is owned by a woman who rents some of the bedrooms to students, which I saw a couple of times when I was looking for an apt. And, if you haven't checked already-- Smith and Amherst College and Mount Holyoke are all very close to UMass, and you may be able to check their off campus housing sites! I've found a couple places looking for fall roommates on Craigslist, as well-- I'm sure you'd have some luck checking there (if you haven't already!). 

• 3 months later...