Where to apply for AI (PhD) without a stellar application?

arbitraryName

I'm interested in AI. What I'm most interested in is general intelligence, though I'm concerned I wont be taken seriously if I say that. Do people research this, or has it been given up on for now?

Right now, my application will include

GPA: 2.85. My first two and half years ended me with a 2.4 GPA, and the past year I've averaged a 3.8 GPA. I should have a 3.0 by the time I graduate, hopefully by the end of the semester.

GRE: Haven't taken it yet, but working *really* hard to do well on it.

Research: Have 1.5 years of research with a professor. I never got anything published, however I was working on my own so all the work done was done by me.

Recommendation letters: I have some really, really strong recommendation letters. I have two professors who have come to me saying they would write me one, and I haven't asked, but presumably my research advisor will write me one.

Minors: I have three minors, one in Mathematics, Linguistics, and Cognitive Science.

Involvement: I've been secretary of the Linux Users group, a Microsoft Student Partner, and in a social fraternity.

School: NC State

Any advice on where to apply, or any advice in general is extremely appreciated!

No one cares about the involvement section but the rest is strong, especially the upward trend in the last two years for the GPA, that'll help a lot. Try to get above 3.0 before you graduate though, it's a magic threshold. If you don't get in where you want this cycle, try again after you graduate above 3.0 and publish a paper. Do both and you probably have a great shot at an institution you can be really happy with.

That said, your chances for this cycle aren't bad either. Apply broadly, but only at schools you would actually accept an offer at.

• 2 weeks later...