Computer Network- Information Security Systems

hajimemashite

Hello Everyone,

I am an international student with a BS degree in Computer Networking from Saint Cloud State University, Minnesota - USA (with a 3.13 GPA in my major). I graduated in May 2009 and returned back to my country. However I have always had my mind set on getting a PHd. While as an undergrad I had registered for the GRE and taken it without any preparation. I managed to get a 700 in Math, 430 in Verbal (the exigencies of being a foreigner: my vocabulary was very weak at that point of time) and a 4.5 in the analytical writing section.

I am planning to retake the GRE this October with a goal of getting somewhere around 750 in the math section and possibly a 500 in the Verbal.

I am primarily looking at degrees in Wireless Network Security, Adhoc networkin, IDS/IPS, HoneyNet (but no or very less cryptography). I also have a few others in mind.

At the current moment my choice of Universities include: (in order of preference w/research and my chances of getting accepted)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) U of Washington (seattle)

2) U of Oregon (eugene)

3) U of Idaho (moscow)

4) U of NY (sunny buffalo)

5) U of Iowa (ames)

6) U of Delaware (newark)

7) U of Rhode Is (kingston)

8] U of Michigan (ann arbor)

9) U of Wisconsin (madison)

10) U of Minnesota (twin cities)

11 12) U of Colorado (denver and boulder)

13) U of George Washington (DC)

14) Georgia Institute of Technology

15) U Of California (irvine)

However I am not sure if I am overestimating my capabilities or if understating them. Of course I will try to write a promising statement of purpose and try and get good recommendation letters. But I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback.

thank you very much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay so I just took the GRE exam.

My scores were alright.

Total = 1320.

Quantitative - 760.

Qualitative - 560.

My major GPA is also mediocre compared to many other people on this forum = 3.13. from St Cloud State University in Minnesota, USA.

Major = Computer Networking and Security.

Concentration - Wireless Networks, Adhoc Networks, Honeypots, Worms, etc.

I am an international student and am looking to do my phd in the related field.

Can anyone please give me some insights about what my chances are in getting admitted/accepted for grad school. I will be looking to get grants, since financing my own doctorate degree is not plausible.

- Thank you.