Online pre-reqs…..thoughts? experiences? etc.

Hi. I'm currently located in a small town (under 6000 people) in Washington state. I'm trying to made a decision about USU's online courses and was looking for some insight from others. I have a BA in Mass Comm and an MS in Secondary Education…so I'm out of field, needing some leveling courses before applying to grad SLP programs. I've found numerous accredited online programs…..FSU, Texas Women's, Jacksonville University, and Utah State have caught my attention. So I wanted to hear from others who may have taken these courses. 

I don't work…but I do have two young kids. Luckily they will have preschool next year so I'll have study time during the day and they go to bed relatively early. So I think I can take a full-load of online classes. 

If you did take from these schools, what grad program are you currently in? I'm just trying to gather as much info as I can. Thank you for helping me!

I went to ENMU for online pre-reqs. The price was right, but let's just say you get what you pay for. There wasn't a ton of support and most of the classes didn't have lectures. Looking back, I wish I would have paid a bit more and done USU. They also have an online FB support group. 

However, I was accepted at all but one of the schools to which I applied. When I went for visit days, they all had some students in their cohorts who had done online leveling. Initially, I thought it would be frowned upon, and maybe it isn't the idea situation, but generally I think grad schools are used to it now. Provided you have strong LORs and a strong personal statement you should be fine. I really think my LORs and personal statement increased my acceptance rate. 

Also, if you don't have background experience that will lend itself to work as an SLP, you may want to look into volunteering, etc. I work in technology so worked to obtain a lot of background on AAC devices so I could parlay my tech background into something that relevant to work as an SLP. 

Edited by SLP2B111

I went to ENMU for online pre-reqs. The price was right, but let's just say you get what you pay for. There wasn't a ton of support and most of the classes didn't have lectures. Looking back, I wish I would have paid a bit more and done USU. They also have an online FB support group. 

However, I was accepted at all but one of the schools to which I applied. When I went for visit days, they all had some students in their cohorts who had done online leveling. Initially, I thought it would be frowned upon, and maybe it isn't the idea situation, but generally I think grad schools are used to it now. Provided you have strong LORs and a strong personal statement you should be fine. I really think my LORs and personal statement increased my acceptance rate. 

Also, if you don't have background experience that will lend itself to work as an SLP, you may want to look into volunteering, etc. I work in technology so worked to obtain a lot of background on AAC devices so I could parlay my tech background into something that relevant to work as an SLP. 

I also completed prereqs through ENMU. I agree, there was very little support and many classes really just felt like "facilitated studying" as there were no lectures, only reading assignments and tests. This format puts a lot of the learning burden on the students, which is fine, as long as you are self-disciplined and highly motivated. NOT ideal for people who prefer auditory learning. A few classes did provide a comprehensive learning experience, particularly Neuroscience with Dr. Weems. This course, and a few others, actually required critical thinking, problem solving, group work, and synthesis of information instead of just memorization. I also got accepted to graduate programs, and I feel like a have a solid foundation in CSD. The program schedule was flexible and the price was right. 

I was also mass comm undergrad and have 2 kids, and just finished USU classes.

I found them easier than I thought they would be, but I did dedicate 2 full days a week (kids in school) and some extra weekend studying when needed. That was for 3 classes a semester. They are well organized, and to some extent I feel like they feed you the answers. So much is multiple choice, and many tests are based strictly on lectures. I didn't do much reading.  BUT I was told by one highly ranked grad program they they are becoming disenchanted with USU and that the students who come from there aren't as prepared as others. So now I'm nervous about starting my grad program :/

Hey guys, FSU does have an online pre-reqs program. It is quite expensive because it is at graduate level - so graduate cost. It is 2 online classes a semester for 3 semesters.. You can take them any order, and apply any semester. Some schools will prefer you to have a different variation or maybe even more prerequisites. So keep that in mind. It isn't necessarily all inclusive, but they will tell you it is. 

I just finished it, and I applied to only Florida Schools. I ended up getting accepted to UCF, FAU, and UF. I am still on the waitlist for USF. I will be attending UF. UCF wanted me to take 2 extra prerequisites prior to beginning graduate classes as part of my acceptance. UF, luckily, is not requiring me to take any additional prerequisites. However, all the schools look at each applicant differently based on what additional prereqs they might suggest. 

Also, I greatly enjoyed FSUs online prereq program. It is very doable, but once again- do consider the cost and that not every school may take prerequisites the same. That is something to consider though no matter what prerequisite program you choose. 

FSU does also have an online Masters program, but this year they weren't taking students. I believe they are though in Fall 2016. 

Good luck!!!

FSU does not have an online pre-reqs program, but they do have an online Master's program. 

Edited by Amh07e

Also, I greatly enjoyed FSUs online prereq program. It is very doable, but once again- do consider the cost and that not every school may take prerequisites the same. That is something to consider though no matter what prerequisite program you choose. 

Hey guys, FSU does have an online pre-reqs program. It is quite expensive because it is at graduate level - so graduate cost. It is 2 online classes a semester for 3 semesters.. You can take them any order, and apply any semester. Some schools will prefer you to have a different variation or maybe even more prerequisites. So keep that in mind. It isn't necessarily all inclusive, but they will tell you it is. 

I just finished it, and I applied to only Florida Schools. I ended up getting accepted to UCF, FAU, and UF. I am still on the waitlist for USF. I will be attending UF. UCF wanted me to take 2 extra prerequisites prior to beginning graduate classes as part of my acceptance. UF, luckily, is not requiring me to take any additional prerequisites. However, all the schools look at each applicant differently based on what additional prereqs they might suggest. 

FSU does also have an online Masters program, but this year they weren't taking students. I believe they are though in Fall 2016. 

Good luck!!!

Whoops! My bad.

SLP2B111 and Magpie J (and anyone, really!)--

I am also starting online prereqs at ENMU this summer and was wondering if you have any words of wisdom regarding which professors you enjoyed (or didn't), or anything else about the program.  Also, when you took the classes, did any or all require proctored exams?  Any tips appreciated!  Thanks!!

I am currently doing my prereqs online through USU. I have not applied to grad school yet, so I can't tell you about admissions. I like the USU program. I am doing it full time, and probably average about 10 hours a week. Some weeks I work a lot more (like finals week), and some weeks I work less. There are online pre-recorded lectures and lecture notes posted for every section. There are also active  discussion forums and I have found the professors and TAs to be very responsive to questions on the forums and through email. I do find that I miss the classroom experience, and do not think I learn as well in an online environment, but I am still learning a lot and am not worried about being prepared for grad school. 

I think that if you are not working, you could probably do the work full time. I don't have kids, so I don't know how that will affect your work schedule, but if they are at school you should be able to get all your work done before you have to pick them. My only word of caution is that it is very easy to procrastinate with the online classes. I suggest you get a big desk calendar and write down all of your assignments on it at the beginning of the semester. I found it very helpful. 

Good luck!

I realized that those 10 hours a week of wok I estimated do not include the readings. The readings can take a while to read, assuming you read them all. Even with the readings, you should be able to do the work while your kids are at school.