Cosupervision stuff.

NonparametricBananas

Heya, so I wanted to ask the gradcafe community their thoughts on this. I applied and got into a zoology PhD program this year -- the prof (henceforth Prof A) that I had applied to work with (invited him to my current school to deliver a seminar, to meet with me, fan of his research, etc.) asked if I'd be okay with being cosupervised with another prof (henceforth Prof B) because they had a shared project they wanted me to jump on for my PhD. As time has passed on, Prof A has disappeared from emails -- typically, it was both him and Prof B. Even today, when I received a letter from the department outlining my support and TAship, it said "under the supervision of Prof B". All correspondence has since been from Prof B, as well. 

I am a bit bothered by this, particularly because my primary reason for accepting the offer to this school was because of the prospect of working with Prof A. I considered contacting Prof B to ask vaguely "oh how does the cosupervision process work" or something to the like, but I don't want to risk offending just in case that does come off as "hey what's the deal I wanted to work with the other guy", because that's not the case at all. I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps it's just a minor detail. Ultimately, cosupervision -- from what I've seen of it from a few friends who are currently cosupervised in their master's -- doesn't appear to mean much beyond a bigger committee and broader scope, etc. 

What do you guys think?

I think this is something you definitely want to follow up with Prof A first (and Prof B afterwards).

There could be (at least) two possible scenarios:

1. In most programs I've familiar with, there is only one official supervisor although a student might be co-supervised on multiple projects and work with multiple professors. But there can only be one person that is responsible for you (financially and academically) on paper. So, perhaps Prof A and Prof B agreed that Prof B will be the "main supervisor", i.e. the person that will fund you and the person that approves your coursework etc. But, when it comes to actual research work, you would be able to go to Prof A and Prof B equally for advice and guidance.

2. Or, perhaps Prof A is actually trying to take less of a supervisor role over you and Prof B will not only be your "main supervisor" on paper, but Prof B will also be your primary research supervisor. Perhaps Prof A is thinking that they might be more like a collaborator or your committee member. 

How co-supervision works really depends on how your department/program run things. I'm currently working with three professors but only one is my official supervisor. But my department is very relaxed about supervision--although beyond our first year, each of us is mostly funded by an individual professor, almost all the professors have enough funding that it is as though every student is on a fellowship and we're able to just do whatever work that interests us. The main limiting factor on who we can work with is time.

So, I think if you truly want to mainly work with Prof A, then you should talk to Prof A about how he views his role as your supervisor. But even though you originally wanted to work with Prof A, is that still true today? You've talked to Prof B a lot now, is that someone who want to work with? Is the project they proposed something you care about? 

Ultimately, what your letter says is a big deal. I am surprised that the letter came after your decision to accept the offer, instead of along with the offer. Unless you are okay with the possibility that you will actually end up being primarily supervised by Prof B, you should contact Prof A for clarification sooner rather than later. 

Thank you for your great response.

Considering the in-person, email, and phone conversations, it does make a lot of sense given what has been said on funding that Prof B would be listed on the departmental letter. 

I am completely fine with being primarily supervised by Prof B. There hasn't been anything mentioned about me being pawned off to Prof B so I assume that the cosupervision arrangement is still on. I suppose I just feel a bit jilted since Prof A has pretty much disappeared from all correspondences and mentions in official documents. Either way, their offices are located right next to each other and the grad office space is shared between both labs' grads. 

I sent an email to Prof B after the first post with a vague kind of statement asking how cosupervision works. Hopefully he gets back to me soon.

In addition to what you will already do, you can also be proactive and seek to include Prof A in scientific correspondence in the future as well. Maybe it will be a lot easier to get both professors involved once you are actually there.

I heard back from Prof B just now. He said I will be sponsored by him but we'll work with Prof A, so it appears that Prof B has become my primary advisor with Prof B serving as a collaborator + committee member. We'll know for sure when we get there in Aug/Sept. Either way, both A and B do great research, so it will be a great opportunity to grow as a scientist nonetheless. I just wish they were more clear with this from the beginning.