Is AWA 4.0 too low for Sociology?

Elaine_hfyy

Hi everyone, I plan to apply for a Ph.D in sociology next fall (2016 fall semester) and recently took my GRE exam with V 161, Q 164, AWA 4.0. I would like to apply for programs within top 30.

I know that 4.0 probably is too low for a phd in social sciences since writing is such an essential skill.

More about myself -- English is not my first language but I did a master in public policy in the U.S. and I am working in the U.S. now. My GPA is 3.84/4.0 for master and 3.7/4.0 for undergrad. I don't think my writing skill is at 4.0 level but I admit that I am not good at writing with an aggressive time frame.

Is it possible to make up for my poor AWA performance with personal statement and writing sample? Should I consider retaking GRE to improve my AWA score?

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Usually I would say not to waste the money and retake the exam. However, since you would most likely be applying as an international student it may be advantageous to study a bit more and take the exam once more (if it's financially possible). Try to score at least since a 4.5 (80th percentile) since the AWA is a category that is used to filter international applicants. Other than that write a strong SoP and get strong LORs since the other parts of your profile seem solid.

Thank you Eteshoe! Just one follow up -- when you said they use AWA 4.5 to filter international students, did you mean probably they are not going to proceed in reading other part of applicant profiles (SoP, LoRs, etc.)?

Since I am not on an Adcomm I cannot say for certain but I would say it depends. If the program has a ton of applicants then the GRE score may be used to filter applicants before proceeding to the other parts of the application packages just to make the volume of work manageable. In smaller programs or programs that tend to take a bit of international students, they may look at the other parts of the application package before making any recommendations.

Hi Elaine_hffyy,

Your 4.0 on the AWA should be fine and it's remarkably unlikely that you would be rejected for that reason. Admissions Officers are smart enough to know that applicants have to complete the AWA section in a very short period of time, so as long as you can score at a certain level (for most programs, that would be a 4.0 or higher), then you have that part of the application "covered." The essays and personal statements are your opportunities to craft well-worded, organized essays so you should put in the necessary time and effort to write (and re-write) those prompts.

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich