EPA STAR 2015

kbolya1

Maybe we will hear tomorrow? If not, how is everyone getting ahold of Brandon over this time period? I couldn't find his email and went through NCER_Communications@epa.gov ... I never heard from them after I sent one out 12/15/15. Is it worth emailing him again? 

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard anything. What would be the next status after "Tracking Number Assigned"? My impression was that's as far as it'll go and that was going to be our only interaction with grants.gov although I could be wrong.

As far as the weather, DC has a very established work from home program because of the traffic, so I would bet they work from home on bad weather days. It still might delay their notifications though, especially if they plan on calling.

I just want to know already!

Is there anyone who has applied EPA STAR 2013 or knows someone who applied EPA STAR 2013?

I know that eventually EPA STAR 2013 funds were provided to students in 2014 fall semester instead of 2013 fall semester.

At that time, did EPA kept delaying their final decisions and changing the post on their website as they are doing now?

@HamiltonEng If you look at the post from that year you see that they kept delaying the results over and over. Another issue was that they notified the recipients but then delayed notifying the rest of the applicants that they had not been awarded the fellowship. This was supposedly done because they were considered alternates, so it kept everyone's hopes up for another month. It is really unfortunate that a better/faster method of picking fellows for this fellowship has not been worked out yet, but then again it appears that only 1 -2 people are in charge of selecting the awardees. 

When I applied for EPA STAR 2013, I got a decline packet in the mail in Mayor June-ish. ....Sometime soon after receiving acceptance of the NSF GRFP.  In the packet I got my application scores/reviewer notes.  It's hard to tell how they decide.  I got the highest score from all reviewers but one noted I didn't have any publications during my undergrad.  My mentor who has been a reviewer for this program said publications for undergrads isn't a reason to decline an application.  Anyways, the point is many people submit good applications and get excellent scores but still get declined. 

Though I should also note the EPA STAR 2013 was due in November and many started out award notifications near the end of summer and throughout the fall..I think based on funding categories.  But the EPA STAR 2015 was due in May? and you were supposed to know before Fall semesters?  I was told by a reviewer that the format of selecting awardees is different and not to bother until the next cycle.  I think in general this is bad if you're relying on funding to get into grad school.

I was supposed to hear back by now from the EPA about a totally separate opportunity.  I've been told by people who work at the EPA and professors involved in decision making that they are generally slow with everything because of funding cuts.