How long is your dissertation?

serenade

I realized I should've cited this: it came from a blog that analyzed trends in dissertations at UMinnesota from 2007 to now iirc https://beckmw.wordpress.com/2013/04/15/how-long-is-the-average-dissertation/ . As such, the data obviously have more significance for certain populations, but it doesn't seem off from the stories I heard. 

Dissertations were 100-215 pages at NDSU (University Wide), with significant charts/figures included in those page lengths.

Source: My girlfriend was the disquisition processor, so she edited them all to fit the guidelines of the university.

There was not a single dissertation that was 400 pages. But she only processed one graduation cycle.

Edited by twentysix

My program is minimum of 220 pages.  Book publishers don't want more than 100,000 words so most dissertators aim for that or go below it.

In the UK it's 80-100K words maximum (excluding appendices). In France, it's between 500-1000 pages (including appendices). Including appendices, I wrote 300p for a two-year-master's thesis.

I realized I should've cited this: it came from a blog that analyzed trends in dissertations at UMinnesota from 2007 to now iirc https://beckmw.wordpress.com/2013/04/15/how-long-is-the-average-dissertation/ . As such, the data obviously have more significance for certain populations, but it doesn't seem off from the stories I heard.

pop_box2.jpg?w=666

Interesting, historians write the longest theses. :(

In the UK it's 80-100K words maximum (excluding appendices). In France, it's between 500-1000 pages (including appendices). Including appendices, I wrote 300p for a two-year-master's thesis.

A lot of this has to do with cultural norms. The lit review in English-language works is usually substantially less comprehensive than in French. Also, the apparatus to simply publish massive dissertations does not exist in the US or the UK; PhDs are expected to pare down and generalize their dissertations if they want to publish them. 

It makes sense though; like you are going to need more space when your data are mostly inscribed in textual form :P . If you want brevity, go to math!

Better than political science where you are expected to do extensive statistical analysis AND have a similar theoretical and case study approach. 

Edited by victorydance

Uh...mine is currently about 225 pages, with one more chapter and the conclusion still to go. I figure I'll finish up somewhere between 275-300, not counting bibliography, TOC, and so forth.