Timing of Applications

MZ3335

Hi everyone,

I was hoping that the gradcafe community might be able to provide some advice on the best timing of graduate school applications. My current dilemma is whether I should apply for the upcoming cycle this year, or wait to apply later in 2016 or 2017 after a one year program in political science. However, my concern is that, if I were to take a job after a masters program, I would be delaying a PhD program for potentially 1-2 years.

Basically, I am unsure if I would be competitive enough for this cycle, and hope that masters-level coursework, thesis, and letters of recommendation would be helpful in improving my applicant profile. Would waiting a few years to apply be advisable, or should I aim to apply later this year (and enroll directly after the masters program)?

Thanks!

You aren't providing nearly enough information about your situation to address the question.

In any event, what's stopping you from applying both to PhD and MA programs at the same time?  Unless the application fees are prohibitive or you clearly aren't a candidate for decent PhD programs at this time, this would probably make the most sense.

Hi law2phd, thanks for your quick reply. I've already applied for and accepted an offer from a MA program. I have adequate numbers (3.92 GPA, 169V 167Q GRE) for a PhD program, though my primary concern is that I have not narrowed down my research interests enough so as to craft a strong application/research proposal. I'm hoping the MA will give me some time to figure that out. That said, were I to apply later this year (which is, ideally, what I would like to do),  I am not quite sure if the professors at my MA program would know me well enough by then to provide solid letters of recommendation.

Hi everyone,

I was hoping that the gradcafe community might be able to provide some advice on the best timing of graduate school applications. My current dilemma is whether I should apply for the upcoming cycle this year, or wait to apply later in 2016 or 2017 after a one year program in political science. However, my concern is that, if I were to take a job after a masters program, I would be delaying a PhD program for potentially 1-2 years.

Basically, I am unsure if I would be competitive enough for this cycle, and hope that masters-level coursework, thesis, and letters of recommendation would be helpful in improving my applicant profile. Would waiting a few years to apply be advisable, or should I aim to apply later this year (and enroll directly after the masters program)?

Thanks!

Alternately, you could try some internships and the job market and see if you really do want to spend the next 6 years of your life in school. I did that for about 3 years and it was vital experience.

You really shoulnd't pay up to 100k for a MA just to figure out what you want to study.

This exactly.

Edited by esotericish