What does it mean when...

So, I applied to a program at the beginning of May. Prior to my application, the admissions director was very good about sending emails and replying to my emails. He actually seemed very excited. After he received my app, his emails have been few and far between. The last one he sent said that the faculty would be meeting the following week to discuss interviews and that he'd be in touch. A week went by and I didn't hear anything. I recently sent him an email to ask about a general timeframe for decisions, because we need to know for work. I received an auto response saying he'd be away from his email until June 1. Not sure what any of this means. Could be they've already decided on interviews and they are busy doing the interviews until June 1. Any thoughts?

The auto response probably means he is out of town or otherwise unable to respond to emails until June 1. Most academics set this when they are traveling so that people know not to expect a response from them. They might even set this when they do have access to email (but limited time to read/write mails) so that they will be only responding to high priority messages at this time.

My advice to you is to be patient and wait until June 3 or so. Then, send a reminder email. Do not send any further emails from now until June 1. It's a good idea to send a reminder email after they return to the office because there is probably a large number of emails in their inbox that they will have to get back to, and they might miss yours if you don't resend.

Thanks for the responses. Finally got a timeline for decisions on MSW...mid July. It's a long time away, but I am treating this as an exercise in practicing patience. For all those trying to figure out what each email means...it's pointless, maddening, and doesn't actually change anything. Take care of yourself during this time.