Application timeline (Primarly GRE question)

jupika

I have been working for the last couple months on applications to graduate school, but I haven't taken the GRE yet (9/18/09). I was hoping I could wait another 4 weeks and study a little more to give myself a better chance. Do you think that would be possible, or would that screw me over with the application deadlines (earliest I saw was December 1st (are there any earlier ones?)).

That is my main question, could I take 4 more weeks and prepare a little more for the GRE, and still get those scores out in time?

I am a Dual Degree student from a state university. One degree in Biology (Cellular/Molecular) w/ a minor in Chemistry, and another degree (both BAS) in Psychology w/ a minor in Biomedical Physics.

GPA at the moment is 3.43, Upper division is the same, last two years, it should be around a 3.5-3.6. My Psychology GPA is 4.0, and should remain that way. I am expecting my last two semesters to be straight A's (I am finishing my Psychology stuff, and it is absurdly easy for me).

My last practice test GRE Quantitative score was a 710 (my lowest was a 650 I think). But I have practiced for like 3 weeks since then, I feel I still need time.

The GRE verbal was pretty low, from what I remember like a 550.

I am doing another practice test tomorrow.

Can I wake 4 weeks, or would that be pushing it, and should I just sign up for the October 7th? I can also register for a test on September 23rd, but if I did that, I would have to skip a psych course test (but I can easily make that up later, if need be).

I can't find any informed individuals who can advise me. Please help.

The GRE site says that "Official Verbal, Quantitative and Analytical Writing scores will be sent to you and the score recipients you designated within 10 to 15 days after you take the test." Most programs I've been looking at say to allow for 6-8 weeks for scores to come in. Personally, I'm shooting for mid-October.

Really, though, it comes down to how much you think you can realistically get your scores up. Maybe others can chime in on that...

If you really think you're going to study and up your score, then I think October should be fine. I'm taking a November subject test, and I think that score will get everywhere it needs to by the right times. (The first program I'm applying to has a Dec. 15th deadline, but it doesn't require the subject test; the programs that require subject tests don't have applications due till Dec. 31st/early Jan.) But, like keylimekai said, it depends on what you're going to do with your time and what you can realistically do with your time, and I honestly think that you're going to have to figure that out. I think you'll be fine timing-wise, but it all depends on whether you think you should spend the next four weeks on GRE prep (and how helpful that prep will be) or whether all that time would be better spent elsewhere.