Graduate Housing for CUNY- The Graduate Center

ravyn

Hey all ( ...well, not all... just those who know about CUNY- The Graduate Center and it's graduate housing)

I have received an email from them about living in a four-bedroom. So I have an offer! I just need to either accept it or decline it. I am STRONGLY thinking of accepting it since this is my first time in such a "scary" city and am worried about how housing/rent works in NYC/surrounding areas.

I think the apartment is in East Harlem.

I am wondering what it's like living there. Is this a good option for someone who is ...not the best at figuring things out? 

Idk.... please, I want you to throw thoughts/concerns/questions/ANYTHING at me... I just want to make sure I am not going to spend TOO much on the Graduate housing and won't have enough to eat, get textboosk, and other things to survive/be slightly comfortable.

I am not big on having fun, so I don't plan on going out to drink often/clubs/things like that unless it is free... so I don't expect to have the "time of my life" I just want to be comfortable-ish.

Hey! So I live in East Harlem now and have been living here for two years, although Im not in the process of relocating to Oakland/Berkeley 

East Harlem is terrific, for me it was quite simply the only affordable neighborhood in Manhattan apart from Wash. Heights. One thing to remember is that the neighborhood is quite large and varies widely--I've always lived near 116th street and can say for sure that it's pretty ideal--terrific mexican food/ chuchfritos, access not only to the 6 train but also the m15 bus  going up first ave and down second ave, and pretty much walking distance from central park. The Grad Center is on 34th, meaning your commute to school would be ~30 mins via subway or the same via bicycle (There's a bike path that goes along the river, all the way down to 63rd street, entrances on 120th street and on 110th, if you don't feel comfortable biking on the avenues). 

It's kind of a student neighborhood, as many Hunter College students live there (I among them) and the HC School of Social Work is on 119th and 3rd, which would give you a pretty decent library within walking distance to your house (HC is a CUNY school, so you'd have access there and could use their facilities). 

It's not a "dangerous" neighborhood--I'm a tall man, but my girlfriend feels completely comfortable walking home from the train at night--the area around 125th St./ Lexington Ave has a lot of homeless people, mostly because there's a large bottle processing facility there, but if that bothers you particularly you can avoid that part of the neighborhood pretty easily. 

I think you'd be hard pressed to find an apartment in a more suitable location-- I say go for it if the price is alright! 

Hey! So I live in East Harlem now and have been living here for two years, although Im not in the process of relocating to Oakland/Berkeley 

East Harlem is terrific, for me it was quite simply the only affordable neighborhood in Manhattan apart from Wash. Heights. One thing to remember is that the neighborhood is quite large and varies widely--I've always lived near 116th street and can say for sure that it's pretty ideal--terrific mexican food/ chuchfritos, access not only to the 6 train but also the m15 bus  going up first ave and down second ave, and pretty much walking distance from central park. The Grad Center is on 34th, meaning your commute to school would be ~30 mins via subway or the same via bicycle (There's a bike path that goes along the river, all the way down to 63rd street, entrances on 120th street and on 110th, if you don't feel comfortable biking on the avenues). 

It's kind of a student neighborhood, as many Hunter College students live there (I among them) and the HC School of Social Work is on 119th and 3rd, which would give you a pretty decent library within walking distance to your house (HC is a CUNY school, so you'd have access there and could use their facilities). 

It's not a "dangerous" neighborhood--I'm a tall man, but my girlfriend feels completely comfortable walking home from the train at night--the area around 125th St./ Lexington Ave has a lot of homeless people, mostly because there's a large bottle processing facility there, but if that bothers you particularly you can avoid that part of the neighborhood pretty easily. 

I think you'd be hard pressed to find an apartment in a more suitable location-- I say go for it if the price is alright! 

Thank you so much for replying to me. 

I am planning on accepting the offer. I just need to visit it and give them money/paper work. I do think it's the best option for someone like me.

I do think the price is alright (but what do I know; I am not from the area *so scared*)

...I am just going to borrow your optimism for a while ^_^

I lived for three years around the 125th st 4-5-6 stop until last summer. I was admitted to CUNY and looked at their graduate housing mostly out of curiosity, since I already had an apartment. Their prices are pretty overpriced for the neighborhood. For $1000+/bedroom in East Harlem, you can get a lot of space. I lived in a really nice, spacious 2 bedroom with a washer/dryer in the apartment for $2100, which was much closer to the express subway stop than CUNY's housing is. I also don't think I had an anomalously low rent; it's expensive to live in a 1 bedroom almost anywhere in New York, but if you're planning to live with roommates, you can pay a lot less than $1000/person.

Finding a place and people to live with definitely does involve more legwork for you. And their housing is furnished, which might be a big draw for you. The convenience living in CUNY's housing might be worth the extra cost to you. But, you can definitely do better for the same neighborhood (and East Harlem is a great neighborhood!). 

I lived for three years around the 125th st 4-5-6 stop until last summer. I was admitted to CUNY and looked at their graduate housing mostly out of curiosity, since I already had an apartment. Their prices are pretty overpriced for the neighborhood. For $1000+/bedroom in East Harlem, you can get a lot of space. I lived in a really nice, spacious 2 bedroom with a washer/dryer in the apartment for $2100, which was much closer to the express subway stop than CUNY's housing is. I also don't think I had an anomalously low rent; it's expensive to live in a 1 bedroom almost anywhere in New York, but if you're planning to live with roommates, you can pay a lot less than $1000/person.

Finding a place and people to live with definitely does involve more legwork for you. And their housing is furnished, which might be a big draw for you. The convenience living in CUNY's housing might be worth the extra cost to you. But, you can definitely do better for the same neighborhood (and East Harlem is a great neighborhood!). 

So since it's a two bedroom, you pay $1500 for rent alone?

And yeah, I am not confident in my apartment hunting abilities ...so I'd like the convenience for my first year. And I do not know anyone (I'd like to live with grad students from CUNY), so it would be hard for me to fine a person'group of people.

I appreciate your post- Thank you!!!

So since it's a two bedroom, you pay $1500 for rent alone?

And yeah, I am not confident in my apartment hunting abilities ...so I'd like the convenience for my first year. And I do not know anyone (I'd like to live with grad students from CUNY), so it would be hard for me to fine a person'group of people.

I appreciate your post- Thank you!!!

I lived in an amazing NYC apartment (800sq ft or more) for $1050 per person (not $1500...) with some utilities included. My downstairs neighbor paid $1725 for a slightly smaller 2 bedroom. I looked at multiple 2 bedrooms for $1500-$1600 in Harlem. My point is that CUNY's housing is not a good deal for the neighborhood and what you get. 

• 4 weeks later...

^I agree with the above. My friend rented a two-bedroom in Central Harlem - a nice, developing part of Central Harlem - in a brownstone that had been newly converted to apartments and they paid a bit over $2000 a month for it (so around $1000/per person, although they split it unevenly because one of the rooms was bigger). I also know a couple of people who are splitting 2- and 3-bedrooms in Harlem for like $700-800 a piece. So unless this apartment is huge and brand new, $1000 per person for a four-bedroom apartment seems steep.

Edited by juilletmercredi

^I agree with the above. My friend rented a two-bedroom in Central Harlem - a nice, developing part of Central Harlem - in a brownstone that had been newly converted to apartments and they paid a bit over $2000 a month for it (so around $1000/per person, although they split it unevenly because one of the rooms was bigger). I also know a couple of people who are splitting 2- and 3-bedrooms in Harlem for like $700-800 a piece. So unless this apartment is huge and brand new, $1000 per person for a four-bedroom apartment seems steep.

Well, it's really nice. I do not think apartments in NYC are generally THAT nice... but I could be wrong since I haven't physically been to another NYC apartment. It opened in 2011. I visited it in the beginning of June. They have a gym I can access that I shouldn't have to pay extra for (they said it was free, but I bet it's included in rent lol. so I better use it at least once a week!!!). Wifi is already available for free. They have a lounge and balcony for people to chill at. I also saw an apartment with a camera that lets you see the street. I will be paying for electricity outside of the $1015 rent. Apparently, what everyone in the apartment does is divide the electric bill in quarters. ...so I don't know that will be...

Oh and by the way, I don't think the superintendent showed me the "best' apartment... meaning, I don't think he showed me a dream apartment just to get me to buy it. Because when I got there he had to call various 4-bedroom apartments to make sure a student was home and would let me tour the apartment. And when he did find one, the girl was pleasant ....but had to hop in the shower. Could be wrong.

Faculty members apparently live there too.

Everyone smiled at me and they had no idea who I was... I simply just stood at the door waiting to see an apartment. so that was really nice. And the apartment comes furnished. So I only need to bring my stuff (so less moving costs for me since I am out of state at the moment). 

So, yes, it is expensive since I can get an apartment with more space for myself, but it's not like I am getting NOTHING compared to a 2-bedroom for the same price... it just means more people to deal with. I am only staying for the year ...until I get more comfortable with NYC. Hopefully some of the people who live in the building with me will want to be my roommate for the next year and find a cheaper place.

Edited by ravyn