Fall 2016 Entry Applicants

On 24/2/2016 at 1:00 PM, Mojdeh said:

Hi there:-)

Oh, I know what you mean. The waitings is becoming really unbearable. I received an E-mail from the comp-lit department that said the decision will be 'mailed to me', which does not do much to calm my nerves:-D

When did you complete your application and submit your supplementary documents?

In December actually, which in hindsight, may not have been the best idea given that my waiting time is that much prolonged.

With English at least, I have noticed too many acceptances on the Results Board, and now think it is a goner for me. But hey, good luck to you!

4 hours ago, blomnosgrad said:

In December actually, which in hindsight, may not have been the best idea given that my waiting time is that much prolonged.

With English at least, I have noticed too many acceptances on the Results Board, and now think it is a goner for me. But hey, good luck to you!

Good luck to you, too. It's still early to say. Don't lose hope:-)

14 hours ago, Mojdeh said:

Good luck to you, too. It's still early to say. Don't lose hope:-)

Thank you! I have offers from Rutgers, CUNY, and Binghamton at the moment, but I had my heart on U of T. It would have been an excellent fit for my research, particularly in collaboration with the Centre for Diaspora and Transnational Studies.

Any idea how many students they take in to the doctoral program generally?

So when one emails a department/DGS to ask about the status of one's application...what does one say? I don't want to seem impatient, and I don't know if I should ask WHEN decisions will go out or just about myself in particular. Any advice? Or should I just wait :(

Edited by sarabethke

4 hours ago, sarabethke said:

So when one emails a department/DGS to ask about the status of one's application...what does one say? I don't want to seem impatient, and I don't know if I should ask WHEN decisions will go out or just about myself in particular. Any advice? Or should I just wait :(

I'm also interested in this.  Having a couple of offers I'm happy with, I'd like to more seriously enter the decision-making phase without wondering if another offer will derail my entire thought process (I'm also trying to plan for visit days, which entails altering my class schedule and finding subs).  I'd also just like to officially move on from schools who have notified long ago. 

8 hours ago, sarabethke said:

I emailed a school about a month ago to ask because the program was supposed to have rolling admission, the deadline wasn't posted on the website, and I hadn't heard anything, and I wrote:

Dear Dr. X

My name is klader, and I applied to the MA program over the holiday break. I was checking the program's website for the application deadline to get a better idea of when I might hear back from you, but I didn't see it.

If I could ask, when is your deadline, and when do applicants normally receive a decision? 

Thank you very much!

Best,

klader

He responded promptly and positively, so I guess this could work for some people? I think a lot of it depends on the program and how many people might email them. I'd definitely keep it more general (so, "when do people usually hear?"), but they're probably going to look you up anyway (in my case, he told me that they hadn't even received my application yet, so it was a good thing I asked! Apparently there had been some mix-ups with my transcripts being sent over)

Edited by klader

2 minutes ago, klader said:

I emailed a school about a month ago to ask because the program was supposed to have rolling admission, the deadline wasn't posted on the website, and I hadn't heard anything, and I wrote exactly this:

Dear Dr. X

My name is klader, and I applied to the MA program over the holiday break. I was checking the program's website for the application deadline to get a better idea of when I might hear back from you, but I didn't see it.

If I could ask, when is your deadline, and when do applicants normally receive a decision? 

Thank you very much!

Best,

klader

He responded promptly and positively, so I guess this could work for some people? I think a lot of it depends on the program and how many people might email them. I'd definitely keep it more general (so, "when do people usually hear?"), but they're probably going to look you up anyway (in my case, he told me that they hadn't even received my application yet, so it was a good thing I asked!)

Thanks! Yeah, from what people have described on the results board it seems like some people ask generally and then the dept looks them up, or they say "I emailed about my status" which made me think they asked specifically. I just don't want to ask a general question and get a general answer. I wanna make sure they look me up and just tell me already! lol

1 minute ago, sarabethke said:

Thanks! Yeah, from what people have described on the results board it seems like some people ask generally and then the dept looks them up, or they say "I emailed about my status" which made me think they asked specifically. I just don't want to ask a general question and get a general answer. I wanna make sure they look me up and just tell me already! lol

Yeah, I totally feel you! Waiting is the absolute WORST. I think you should maybe wait a bit longer (maybe until mid-March?) and then send them a polite email asking when applicants can expect to hear back (or, if you want to be bolder, ask about when you personally can expect to hear back).

Also, as far as emailing about waitlists, that's another story.One program told me that I was put on the waitlist for funding when I received my offer of admission, and I straight up asked about my position on the waitlist and if it was likely I would get an offer. She replied and told me where I was (#1 for my specialty) and when I could expect to hear back, so that was encouraging! Again, I think it might just depend on the program and maybe even how a person is feeling on a certain day.

Good luck! If I may ask, which schools are you still waiting on? I'm waiting on Penn State and I'm so antsy because it's the only one I haven't heard back from yet!

2 minutes ago, klader said:

Yeah, I totally feel you! Waiting is the absolute WORST. I think you should maybe wait a bit longer (maybe until mid-March?) and then send them a polite email asking when applicants can expect to hear back (or, if you want to be bolder, ask about when you personally can expect to hear back).

Also, as far as emailing about waitlists, that's another story.One program told me that I was put on the waitlist for funding when I received my offer of admission, and I straight up asked about my position on the waitlist and if it was likely I would get an offer. She replied and told me where I was (#1 for my specialty) and when I could expect to hear back, so that was encouraging! Again, I think it might just depend on the program and maybe even how a person is feeling on a certain day.

Good luck! If I may ask, which schools are you still waiting on? I'm waiting on Penn State and I'm so antsy because it's the only one I haven't heard back from yet!

Thanks. I'm waiting on Oregon, Indiana, and Mississippi. One of my friends just got an offer from Oregon though so I guess that one's a goner. I saw a couple acceptances to Indiana like a week ago but it seemed like very few and I was kind of hoping to see a few more before deciding that one was done.

How did you ask about your position on the waitlist? I'd love to get more information from Davis, even though I'm also afraid it will just depress me. Also I heard from them a few weeks ago and didn't really ask anything...

9 minutes ago, klader said:

Well, I just said YOLO F*** IT and emailed all three. Here's hoping I'll get some answers...

2 minutes ago, sarabethke said:

Thanks. I'm waiting on Oregon, Indiana, and Mississippi. One of my friends just got an offer from Oregon though so I guess that one's a goner. I saw a couple acceptances to Indiana like a week ago but it seemed like very few and I was kind of hoping to see a few more before deciding that one was done.

How did you ask about your position on the waitlist? I'd love to get more information from Davis, even though I'm also afraid it will just depress me. Also I heard from them a few weeks ago and didn't really ask anything...

It's not over until it's over, so don't lose hope unless you have a rejection in your hand!! I know that some programs indeed like to trickle out acceptances, so that could be a possibility for you.

For the waitlist one, I said:

Dear Dr. Y,

Thank you very much for the offer of admission! I'm honored to have been accepted to your program.

I do have a question regarding the funding, though: if I may ask, how likely is my chance of getting off the waitlist? I know that my letter said that I was placed on the top of the waitlist, but I would just like to know the likelihood of a TAship opening up for me.

Thanks,

klader

Short and to the point because, really, that's all that is necessary. If you haven't responded to Davis yet, this template could maybe work for you as well (this was the first time I responded to this offer).

And oh gosh, I waited like 2 weeks before asking more information about one of my offers, and it was all good! I just put in a little tagline of "I'm sorry for the delay in my response; I was waiting until I could ask you some good questions" and he responded promptly and nicely. I think they understand what we're going through and don't hold us to too harsh of standards with things like email :) (at least I hope!!)

8 minutes ago, sarabethke said:

Well, I just said YOLO F*** IT and emailed all three. Here's hoping I'll get some answers...

Good luck!! I hope you hear some good news :) and let us know what they say (or rather, if it's a general email back, one specific to you, etc.). I'm curious how other programs handle this.

I think I actually posted it on another thread, but I've been receiving emails back from my inquiries about my status at pending program.  Not all of them have been helpful.  One that I'm curious about is what the coordinator at WUStL wrote back to me.  I saw notifications of admissions go up a long time ago, I think start of Feb. When I submitted my app, I was informed mid-Feb. is when they would get back to me, so I decided to email about it once the calendar turned March and still no word. I just got a response from the coordinator saying the process is still ongoing and that they will get back to me by mid-March at the latest.  I just find it strange that this is so much longer than their original stated timeline.  Is this normal? I'm also curious if anyone has received a rejection from this school, or if only acceptances have gone out? Any other applicants out there? I kind of want to ask her if this means I'm on some type of wait list, but don't know if this is impertinent or if know that will even make a difference -- I'd still have to wait. Or, it could just be a super generic email and has nothing to do my specific application.

I'd also like to see if there are any other U of Arizona or TAMU admits out there considering the programs.  Perhaps I'll start a thread for people to discuss the decision making process, but I'm just anxious to hear from my last few schools still!

On 3/2/2016 at 0:50 AM, HumanCylinder said:

I think I actually posted it on another thread, but I've been receiving emails back from my inquiries about my status at pending program.  Not all of them have been helpful.  One that I'm curious about is what the coordinator at WUStL wrote back to me.  I saw notifications of admissions go up a long time ago, I think start of Feb. When I submitted my app, I was informed mid-Feb. is when they would get back to me, so I decided to email about it once the calendar turned March and still no word. I just got a response from the coordinator saying the process is still ongoing and that they will get back to me by mid-March at the latest.  I just find it strange that this is so much longer than their original stated timeline.  Is this normal? I'm also curious if anyone has received a rejection from this school, or if only acceptances have gone out? Any other applicants out there? I kind of want to ask her if this means I'm on some type of wait list, but don't know if this is impertinent or if know that will even make a difference -- I'd still have to wait. Or, it could just be a super generic email and has nothing to do my specific application.

I'd also like to see if there are any other U of Arizona or TAMU admits out there considering the programs.  Perhaps I'll start a thread for people to discuss the decision making process, but I'm just anxious to hear from my last few schools still!

This is pretty normal. Northwestern said they'll respond by Mid-March and my decision came by late Jan. These time-lines are meant to be indicative but not necessarily strict.

On March 1, 2016 at 7:20 PM, klader said:

Good luck!! I hope you hear some good news :) and let us know what they say (or rather, if it's a general email back, one specific to you, etc.). I'm curious how other programs handle this.

It worked for Mississippi, but I guess thats because I was on their waitlist. Oregon sent me a vague "we'll get back with you shortly" email which was followed by a rejection yesterday. Indiana never got back to me lol! Awkward.

41 minutes ago, BooksCoffeeBeards said:

I'm waiting on ASU - DU uploaded a fairly personal rejection letter to the portal today. 

Where!? I don't see it - I'm on the page that lists all the green check marks next to my application pieces...I can't see a status anywhere.

2 hours ago, EmmaJava said:

Where!? I don't see it - I'm on the page that lists all the green check marks next to my application pieces...I can't see a status anywhere.

I got emailed at about 7pm that my status had been updated. Chances are they're rolling out their decisions, which might be good for you??? I hope it is!

8 hours ago, BooksCoffeeBeards said:

I got emailed at about 7pm that my status had been updated. Chances are they're rolling out their decisions, which might be good for you??? I hope it is!

Ok, cool - thanks for the info. Sounds like I'm just still waiting, then. Here's hoping that ASU is your money shot.

13 hours ago, BooksCoffeeBeards said:

I'm waiting on ASU - DU uploaded a fairly personal rejection letter to the portal today. 

Just fyi, I've been experiencing radio silence from ASU.  I emailed the dept. earlier this week inquiring about status, but no reply. Good luck!

Also, in case it helps any, this is my third time applying to PhD programs since graduating with my M.A. I know many people who have had to go through multiple rounds, including people who have been shut out applying to an equally large number of schools as I did this time. (Objectively, I thought I did a pretty good job putting together a reasonable school list, but I was also still terrified that this would be the end of the line for me even with such a long list.)  I hope everything turns out well this time, but there is hope if you apply a second time! I felt like I realized something new each time I applied haha.

Edited by HumanCylinder
typo

19 minutes ago, HumanCylinder said:

Just fyi, I've been experiencing radio silence from ASU.  I emailed the dept. earlier this week inquiring about status, but no reply. Good luck!

Also, in case it helps any, this is my third time applying to PhD programs since graduating with my M.A. I know many people who have had to go through multiple rounds, including people who have been shut out applying to an equally large number of schools as I did this time. (Objectively, I thought I did a pretty good job putting together a reasonable school list, but I was also still terrified that this would be the end of the line for me even with such a long list.)  I hope everything turns out well this time, but there is hope if you apply a second time! I felt like I realized something knew each time I applied haha.

Thanks for the encouragement, @HumanCylinder and @EmmaJava! I suppose I'm more despondent than others as this is my third application cycle in 7 years, and I do have a BA and MA in literature. I'm just really hoping, again, I don't have to redo this as I've kind of had my fair share of rejections and close calls.

Fun fact - I did get wait listed for UMass-Amherst for the Fall 2010 year, but a space never opened up. I was shut out of all 14 programs I applied to for fall 2011, including Amherst. It's been a rough go of it these years, though I do have 9 presentations, a publication, and 7 years as a non-TT lecturer in composition under my belt. I suppose I'm taking it a bit harder this cycle not just for everything I've done to strengthen my credentials and contribute to my field, but a decline in enrollment at the university has resulted in my position being reduced to a 2/2 load for the next two years (something I can't really support myself on). 

I am moving on and to somewhere new with my GF, but it would be better if that involved getting into a good program and starting a different direction with my life/career, ya know?