Fall 2016 Entry Applicants

12 hours ago, underwater said:

That one was mine!  Still no official offer letter but the portal's definitely an acceptance.  I screenshotted it because I was so panicked it was a fluke. :)  It's still the only program I've heard from either way.

Also Re: CU Boulder, I'm finishing up my MA there now.  From what I've heard, they're just trying to work out when the best application deadline is to pull in the most promising candidates.  

Good to hear. Is OSU your top choice? Congrats, by the way!

1 hour ago, underwater said:

If you have any questions about Boulder's program, feel free to message me. :)

Congrats on the acceptance!  It's great to have an answer so early in the process (and just generally as well!).  I may take you up on this offer to discuss Boulder.  I applied to the PhD track there as I already have an M.A., but I know they accept so few people.  (Although, in reality, my asking questions would do little but help pass the time waiting for an answer and perhaps address idle curiosities.) 

Does anyone know anything about when adcoms do or do not meet? Is it just any time of the week? Surely not on weekends? Probably not the first week of school because they're getting organized with actual classes? Or is that a good time because they don't have grading/too much going on yet? Anything?

@sarabethke It's all conjecture on my part, but it seems that there's no set time at which they start to meet. Some have already been meeting because acceptances and interviews have been sent out at certain schools. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't meet on weekends, though; however, one could check results pages from years past and see if any notices went up on weekends (not foolproof, but enough of them would suggest something). Hang in there -- only heard from 2 of my 11 programs so far.

2 hours ago, sarabethke said:

Does anyone know anything about when adcoms do or do not meet? Is it just any time of the week? Surely not on weekends? Probably not the first week of school because they're getting organized with actual classes? Or is that a good time because they don't have grading/too much going on yet? Anything?

Probably just whenever they have time to look at applications. Everything is digital nowadays so I don't think they have to set up a time where all of them are free to get together and discuss paper files. They could easily hold discussions (if their board is even set up for such) digitally and respond when they have time. 

All speculation though. I was reading an article about how adcoms work last week.

4 hours ago, sarabethke said:

My department met on a Friday. My friend is on a top 25 Lit Adcom, and they meet every other Wednesday.

12 hours ago, vestigialtraits said:

Probably just whenever they have time to look at applications. Everything is digital nowadays so I don't think they have to set up a time where all of them are free to get together and discuss paper files. They could easily hold discussions (if their board is even set up for such) digitally and respond when they have time. 

All speculation though. I was reading an article about how adcoms work last week.

Oh...digital...duh! I've been picturing them all in a room sorting through paper this whole time. 

Thanks @bhr and @solomonski for your responses as well. It makes sense that it would be less about "having" time than "making time" and departments are going to do that differently. It's good to have some information though.

Just joining the party! I applied to MA programs in rhet/comp and also applied to Penn State, which I believe is both MA and PhD since they prefer to accept MA students who will continue on for the PhD?

So far I've received a rejection from Michigan State, but that's it. Generally, do MA decisions come before or after PhD decisions? I have no idea how this process works, but I saw in the portal that Penn State already accepted at least 1 person (if that poster is reading this, did you apply directly to the PhD with an MA already, or are you on the MA/PhD track? I'm getting nervous here...)

I thought applying to all these programs was hard enough, but the waiting is brutal, especially since I got a rejection so early. I've been ignoring all my homework and have just been stalking this forum to try and find some peace of mind!! Lol

Hey, @klader. I am (at least one of) the Penn State acceptances (in english generally, not rhet/comp specifically; but they're within the same department at PSU, right [I know a few are separate, at least]?)--I applied only with a BA, and am on the MA/PhD track (though, I don't think I specifically mentioned continuing on to the PhD since it was an application for the MA, technically--just discussed long term research plans which at least implied a PhD, I think). 

Anyway: I don't think you need to be too worried yet. I definitely sympathize with you on getting an early rejection; however, keep in mind that Michigan State was very early with decisions this year. Further, there's been a lot written on these boards in past years about Penn State taking quite a while to get through the whole process--they might, like OSU has, be notifying fellowship recipients first, and then others will come later. We'll see. Either way, try to remember: it's not a rejection until it's officially a rejection. And, finally, though I don't specifically have experience applying to MAs (so, anyone who does, correct me if I'm wrong), from looking at the results boards in past years, decisions are usually made around the same time as a lot of the programs I'm applying to: mid Feb to mid March. Which is to say, (unfortunately) you/we still have quite a while to wait, but, fortunately, it's hardly over, so you still have a lot (of I hope good things) to hear yet.

Edited by haltheincandescent

@haltheincandescent thanks so much for the insight and encouragement, and congratulations!! You must be thrilled to have an early acceptance and funding/a fellowship to boot! I hope this at least de-stresses your days for a while :D

Interesting to know that you're no t rhet/comp.  I wonder if it's like you said with alerting the fellowships first, but I also wonder if they do it by speciality, too? I would assume the lit and rhet/comp people all choose their own people, so I wonder if one batch gets accepted and then they choose the other? I've heard Penn staggers their acceptances, and I just wonder if this could contribute to that.

Also, does anyone know how many Penn State (and any school, really) take from each different speciality? Does it just depend on the year and the applicants?

Does anyone want to claim the Boston University waitlist that was recently reported on the results board? Just curious because I applied there and haven't heard anything, and I didn't expect them to notify so early.  (Not that I hold out a huge amount of hope for that program since they admit so few, and typically applicants without M.A.s from what I've heard.) 

2 hours ago, HumanCylinder said:

Does anyone want to claim the Boston University waitlist that was recently reported on the results board? Just curious because I applied there and haven't heard anything, and I didn't expect them to notify so early.  (Not that I hold out a huge amount of hope for that program since they admit so few, and typically applicants without M.A.s from what I've heard.) 

This was me! My email said that they accepted five applicants and have a total of twelve on the waitlist. I got the email yesterday; I'm not sure if that means they've notified everyone already.

1 minute ago, doubledogderrida said:

This was me! My email said that they accepted five applicants and have a total of twelve on the waitlist. I got the email yesterday; I'm not sure if that means they've notified everyone already.

Congratulations on being so close to an acceptance and good luck with making it in! Thanks for sharing the info, too; that's very helpful.  I think I can mentally file this one under rejection now.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2016 at 1:33 PM, myprettybonnet said:

Hey, tuning into Grad Cafe late in the season, but I'll claim a SUNY-Buffalo acceptance, a UC Davis wait list, and a WUSTL wait list (all in digital humanities/film studies). Still waiting to hear from 9 schools... 

Congratulations on your success! I was hopeful of Buffalo, but it seems like that will end up being a rejection for me. (I also applied to Davis, but I was much less hopeful there.)

13 hours ago, blomnosgrad said:

Has anyone heard from the English Department/Graduate Studies at University of Toronto or NYU?

A friend of mine got her notification of acceptance to NYU on Feb 3rd, so they did at least some notifying then.

On 15/2/2016 at 7:45 AM, unræd said:

A friend of mine got her notification of acceptance to NYU on Feb 3rd, so they did at least some notifying then.

On 14/2/2016 at 1:19 AM, DJS said:

@blomnosgrad 

Nothing from NYU here 

Thank you, you two!

At least I can modify my expectations a little based on this. :(

On 2/14/2016 at 7:31 AM, blomnosgrad said:

Has anyone heard from the English Department/Graduate Studies at University of Toronto or NYU?

Hi, I saw an acceptance to the comp lit program at U of T in the results page. Is your application showing "under review"?

On 18/2/2016 at 5:20 AM, Mojdeh said:

Hi, I saw an acceptance to the comp lit program at U of T in the results page. Is your application showing "under review"?

I have actually applied to the English program at U of T. But yes, still waiting under the large looming shadow of the increasingly more depressing "Under Review".

2 hours ago, blomnosgrad said:

I have actually applied to the English program at U of T. But yes, still waiting under the large looming shadow of the increasingly more depressing "Under Review".

Hi there:-)

Oh, I know what you mean. The waitings is becoming really unbearable. I received an E-mail from the comp-lit department that said the decision will be 'mailed to me', which does not do much to calm my nerves:-D

When did you complete your application and submit your supplementary documents?