Fall 2016 Entry Applicants

3 minutes ago, sarajop said:

I applied to UT Austin last year, and yeah, in review means they're looking at it. Make sure they get that last recommendation though.

They will for sure. She already submitted the ones for early deadlines, but, for whatever reason, she's waiting until the week of each deadline to submit for that program. 

Hey everyone! I am an early modernist applying to 8 schools. Had a successful application season in 2013 while applying to M.A. programs. Gradcafe was my safe haven. Happy to be back here. How is everyone doing? Just applied to 2 schools today. 6 more to go. 

16 hours ago, haltheincandescent said:

Hm. Mine says in review as well (admittedly I don't remember it ever saying incomplete, but, it probably did, I just wasn't paying attention), even though my last recommender still hasn't yet uploaded her letter. Presumably "in review" means that all the main portions are uploaded, so they're trying to get a head start on reviewing, even before the deadline?

Anyone who hasn't uploaded their writing sample/SoP yet? Have the same thing / still "incomplete"?

I haven't submitted my SOP etc. and on the status check page it says "incomplete."  

• 4 weeks later...

so, i got an email out of nowhere from a DGS telling me my application was a strong one (!!). totally unexpected, and also still hardly an actual decision, so not trying to count chickens before they hatch. but, the whole email was so positive about my potential future there - man, am i excited! at the very least it's a nice confidence booster this early in the season. :)

Edited by haltheincandescent

1 hour ago, haltheincandescent said:

so, i got an email out of nowhere from a DGS telling me my application was a strong one (!!). totally unexpected, and also still hardly an actual decision, so not trying to count chickens before they hatch. but, the whole email was so positive about my potential future there - man, am i excited! at the very least it's a nice confidence booster this early in the season. :)

Ha! Very nice! I got an email the other day saying "one of our transcripts hasn't come yet" and I felt so helpless and frustrated but then they emailed a few days later and said it arrived. So a different kind of excitement altogether haha 

16 hours ago, haltheincandescent said:

That's a very good sign; congratulations!

This may be a paranoid question but do forthcoming conference presentations count? I got accepted to present at a RC conference in april and I'm wondering how to frame that on my CV, or even if I should include that.

13 minutes ago, Romanista said:

This may be a paranoid question but do forthcoming conference presentations count? I got accepted to present at a RC conference in april and I'm wondering how to frame that on my CV, or even if I should include that.

Just one opinion, but I'd say they count, and might be helpful especially if you have few or no others (help to show that you're getting involved with more professional aspects of academia, that you'll have experience presenting by the time you enter the program, and also that your work is at a level that would be accepted by a conference). 

As for formatting, maybe, after those you have on there now (if any), have a subheading in the conferences section as "Upcoming"? Then have "Proposal Accepted" at the end of the entry, as you would with a forthcoming paper?

So: 

Conference Presentations:

X-Date 2015. Title. Addtl. bibliographic info.

X-Date 2014. Title. Addlt. info.

--Upcoming

X-Date 2016. Title. Addtl. info. Proposal accepted.

If you don't have any already, perhaps the heading could just be "Conference Presentations (forthcoming)"? Then same with the "proposal accepted" just to emphasize that it's not complete yet?

Just some thoughts, though.

All I have are "Under review" (submitted but not yet accepted) or "Forthcoming" (accepted but not yet published/presented) articles and conference presentations. And I put that at the beginning of the line, in place of "Presenter" or something. 

Thanks for the helpful responses. On a related note, do any of you include conference presentations at your home institution? I have presented 3 times, all at a semi annual conference organized by my department. Should I include those presentations? I mean, it was an actual conference but the presenters were only from my school.

I listed undergrad conference presentations when I applied to PhD programs. I was told that my CV was too small to be that picky about what did or did not go on it. I think that's pretty good advice; at the very least it shows that you've been doing "practice round" stuff. 

On 1/12/2016 at 2:42 PM, Romanista said:
4 hours ago, Romanista said:

Thanks for the helpful responses. On a related note, do any of you include conference presentations at your home institution? I have presented 3 times, all at a semi annual conference organized by my department. Should I include those presentations? I mean, it was an actual conference but the presenters were only from my school.

I included one presentation at my schools graduate academic conference, because it had competitive applications and peer reviewed submissions. I also included two regional/national conferences that took place on my home campus. I think I would include anything that was bigger than just a department showcase.

An aside, but isnt it super late to still be asking these questions? Do you still have upcoming deadlines?

20 hours ago, Romanista said:

Yes, and I second what echo said about cvs at this point generally bring too small to be picky about what goes on them

Edited by sarabethke

8 hours ago, wbwhitman said:

Does anyone know if something strange is going on with CU-Boulder? They've pushed back their deadline twice now--from Dec 30 to Jan 15 and now back to Jan 30. Is this sort of thing common, and does it mean anything?

One of two things. Either they don't like the complete pool of candidates they have, and are hoping to get more with a later deadline, or there was some sort of technical or administrative glitch that caused some people to have problems submitting.

On 1/16/2016 at 0:33 AM, wbwhitman said:

Does anyone know if something strange is going on with CU-Boulder? They've pushed back their deadline twice now--from Dec 30 to Jan 15 and now back to Jan 30. Is this sort of thing common, and does it mean anything?

They did the same thing in the 2015 and 2013 seasons, if I recall. I know they definitely did last year.

Congrats, Haltheincandescent!  I can imagine that an acceptance with funding must feel exhilarating and gratifying.  :D

3 hours ago, CrashJupiter said:

They did the same thing in the 2015 and 2013 seasons, if I recall. I know they definitely did last year.

I also applied to Boulder's program, and was very curious about this move.  I guess it's good to hear that it's fairly "normal," but I also wonder if it will push back their notification date. 

1 hour ago, haltheincandescent said:

Just got a call from Penn State--accepted! (With a really nice university level fellowship offer [I like email correspondence better, as it was really hard not to respond with "holy shit."])

congrats. Did your status on the website ever update?

Congrats, Haltheincandescent!  I can imagine that an acceptance with funding must feel exhilarating and gratifying.  :D

I also applied to Boulder's program, and was very curious about this move.  I guess it's good to hear that it's fairly "normal," but I also wonder if it will push back their notification date. 

11 minutes ago, bhr said:

congrats. Did your status on the website ever update?

Thanks! I can't say it's my top top choice, so still some anxiety as I wait for the rest. But, it is still a great program, with awesome faculty for my area, and it's just pretty fantastic to finally know I'll definitely be going somewhere next year, even if none of the others work out :) (goodbye for now, proofreading job!) 

And, nope, it still says something like "application has passed first stage of review, and has been sent to your program, which will notify you of their decision." 

Edited by haltheincandescent

On 1/16/2016 at 0:33 AM, wbwhitman said:

I just heard back from the GC at CU-Boulder. Looks like March 15th is their target date for decisions.

On 1/18/2016 at 11:21 AM, haltheincandescent said:

Thanks! I can't say it's my top top choice, so still some anxiety as I wait for the rest. But, it is still a great program, with awesome faculty for my area, and it's just pretty fantastic to finally know I'll definitely be going somewhere next year, even if none of the others work out :) (goodbye for now, proofreading job!) 

And, nope, it still says something like "application has passed first stage of review, and has been sent to your program, which will notify you of their decision." 

Boulder actually is my top-top choice, so it's good to hear that I wasn't seeing things. :-)