When do you find out if you will receive funding (Stipend, fellowship, TA)? When you accept a spot or before?

dirkwww

I am looking into school psychology masters/Ed.s programs and I was wondering when in the process do you find out if you get financial aid via scholarships, stipends, fellowships, ta, etc. I was going to try to see if I could work in a  lab and get some  financial aid from that and I was wondering if you find out before you accept or after.

Maybe it is different for some places, but the two offers I received included funding and such (and one of them included a fellowship) before I accepted.

I ended up choosing the school that didn't give me a fellowship right off the bat (though I ended up getting a fellowship from that school anyway about a month after accepting).

Both were for PhD programs, so maybe that makes a difference.

I only have experience with Social Psych PhD programs, but I think it might depend on where you go. I went to an interview weekend where they laid out exactly how much each student would get if they were to accept an offer, but I've also seen some students report that they weren't told (or going to be told) unless they accepted an offer at that school first.

Yeah like avidman said, most schools use the funding package to entice students to accept their offer. Hence, more often than not, you find out how much you will be given when they send you the official acceptance letters. Alternatively, during my graduate application this past year, my current graduate advisor told me the rough estimate of what I'll be receiving on top of the external scholarship that I received. 

Do take note of that, though. If you receive external funding that may affect how much the university gives you. BUT it may only help with their decision of accepting you as well!

• 2 months later...

I've had funding stated in my initial offers, and then I also had offers with no funding stated but was told that all doctorate students were funded but the amount and duties would depend according to the adviser.