Terrible GPA, not sure what to do

Overall, already stressed and defeated with this entire process and I haven't even begun!

-Graduated in 2007 with a degree in History......and a GPA of 2.5. I honestly had no excuse for my GPA, I didn't know what I really wanted to do, I wasn't motivated, and barely skated by. It's a miracle I came out with a 2.5, I hardly studied or tried at all.

-A few years later, unable to find a job, and with a degree that's useless, I joined the military. The military has instilled a deep sense of discipline, and maturity that I simply lacked before. I'm a completely different person now then when I graduated 8 years ago. The time has come however when it feels like my time has come, and I would like to transition back to the civilian world.

-I absolutely want to transition into speech pathology, or another allied health profession at least. I worry that with my previous GPA, the whole process would just be a waste of time. The programs are all so competitive, and I honestly have very little to bring to the table. I worry that I'll waste my time taking pre-reqs and simply not be admitted to any programs.

I saw a few other posts about people with lower GPA's being accepted, but almost all seemed to be above a 3.0 at least. With my current GPA, it doesn't even seem that most schools would even consider me. It feels like my Bachelors degree is just a huge burden that I can't shake.

As I'm currently overseas, my options are limited for the next year and a half to online only. When I leave the military, I'm open to settling anywhere to complete this. I just don't know how to start.

If you're really interested in SLP you may want to consider getting a second bachelors.

I'm fine with that. But wouldn't I still have to submit my previous bachelors degree and wouldn't it be calculated with my GPA? Even if I got a straight 4.0 my GPA would be around a 3.25....much better, but doesn't seem to be very competitive.

I agree with the above poster; I had the exact same thought. You should look into doing a postbac program that awards a Bachelor's degree and not just a certificate or nothing at all. There are a few that require no extra coursework, just CSD classes. Two that come to mind are Utah State University and University of South Florida-Sarasota-Manatee campus. On the other hand, you may not even have that option because of their GPA requirements. In that case, maybe you would be interested in respiratory therapy. A friend of mine did her AS in that field and has an excellent paying job in Hawaii.

It seems like you'd be perfect for a leveling program/second bachelors in communication disorders. Just take the prereqs they require in order to apply. You can do them at a community college for cheap. I know the University I went to accepted people into the leveling program with a 2.75 or above. You just need to make sure you do well once you are in the in order to get into grad school! That's the real battle. 

Research SLP programs. Email the program directors and see if they're willing to consider an applicant with a gpa that is below 3.0.  It's definitely worth a shot before considering completing a second bachelors.  There are a couple of threads on here that talk about schools that look beyond GPA, start with those.  I think the skills you learned in the military are great and should be played up on all your future applications.  If you've had no such luck, look into taking pre-reqs (you'll have to take those anyway since your degree is in a different field).  I'm not too sure a second bachelors is the way to go; so much time and money.  Also consider occupational therapy.  I'm not sure of its competitiveness but I think it's a great field and like SLP's, they tend to love their jobs. Good luck!

Do you want to be an SLP? Then DO it! The main thing holding you back isn't your GPA - it's yourself. You gotta believe!!! 

HAHA! JUST DO IT! 

Remember that you now have a story. You were uncertain, and had no idea what direction to go. So you went into the military. Sometime after that, you realized that SLP was the right field. Why? Why that field? You have the makings of a great SOP.  

I don't know if SLP offers something like professional credit classes on the grad level. However, I have several cohorts in my MHC professional degree that came from atrocious undergrad grades, but with passion and a story. I think they accept 2-3 'gamble candidates' each year. These students would up with professional credentials, references and reputation, and took the extra courses before being fully admitted into the graduate program. If SLP works similarly, that may be a way to get in. Focus on ways to demonstrate that you'd succeed beyond test scores (i.e. the real life).

Look for schools that consider your last 60, which would be your second bachelors. That way your old GPA won't bring down your application. If you do well in your second bachelors, do well on the GRE, get good letters of recommendation, and write a killer SOP I'm sure you will have no problem getting in. Honestly, you have a good story and getting a second bachelors shows such a commitment to the field. You CAN do it! Good luck :)

Majority of schools will look at your last 60 units. So if you are truly interested in SLP, try your hardest to get a good GPA in undergrad. Because grad school is VERY competitive. I did my AA in nursing and my GPA wasn't the highest, but for my last 60 units I did much better. I got accepted into grad school, it is very tough! But so worth it, especially if you love the field. So my advice, try for best in your SLP classes, do well on the GRE, write a really awesome LOI, get good letters of recommendations, and to make yourself stand out even more try and work as a speech paraeducator in a school or observe an SLP in a hospital/skilled nursing facility/rehab center.