An interesting topic for my sociolinguistics thesis

• 3 weeks later...

... By reading journal articles, book chapters, relevant magazines, blogs, by watching documentaries or other relevant shows as well as by talking to people. Basically, you immerse yourself in the general topic in order to find out about gaps in the literature by critically reading, observing and listening

You can think of which parts of the language are effected by sociolinguistics. For example, I did a paper on the socialinguistic aspect in cartoons. And really, different caracters are tied to different socialogical classes. Their classes are reprsented by the language they speek. So yes, you should read about it, but not just read. While reading, try thinking of examples and topics at the same time rather than later.

• 2 weeks later...

... By reading journal articles, book chapters, relevant magazines, blogs, by watching documentaries or other relevant shows as well as by talking to people. Basically, you immerse yourself in the general topic in order to find out about gaps in the literature by critically reading, observing and listening

I agree with Espresso Shot! By only doing so, the wide information from the internet will help you in any angle. Most people hired experts to do their thesis, but it's a plus if you do it yourself.