M.S Biostats Profile Evaluation

Hello, 

I am applying to Masters programs in Biostats, but I have no idea how competitive I am for top programs.  I'd appreciate it if anyone who's been through this process before could help me out!

Undergrad: Top 20 Public School (graduating spring 2016)

Major: Applied Math, minor Econ 

GPA: 3.78

female

Awards: university scholar: top 2 percent of my class as of my junior year 

Research: beginning an independent project under my professor, which involves developing a code in R for a multivariate analysis procedure 

Other: I've worked as a student worker throughout my undergraduate career, was a teaching assistant for intermediate microecon, president of my a cappella group, sang in choir, and a math tutor for the university, I've also had a summer internship doing data analysis in excel and SAS 

relevant course work:  Calc 1 (A),  Calc 2 (A), Calc 3 (B+), Applied stats (A), Differential Equations (A), Probability (A-), Real analysis 1 (A-), Real analysis 2 , Linear Algebra (A-), Physics 1 (A), Physics 2  , Psychology (A), intermediate microecon (A), Java programming (A), Numerical analysis

In the fall I will be taking: Econometrics, Math modeling, and vector analysis 

My 3 top schools are UC berkeley, John Hopkins, and UMichigan.  

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE EXTREMELY APPRECIATED!!! 

Edited by mathiscool3

It sounds like you have a decent profile overall. A few tips:

1) Most obviously, it will be important to make sure your GRE scores are solid. I won't throw out any numbers because obviously your ability to score well on the test varies from person to person, but take preparing for it seriously and do the very best you can.

2) I think that what really helps a profile stand out is very strong letters of recommendation. Make sure you continue to develop good relations with your supervisors. In my application process, I didn't have a strong enough profile to get into PhD programs, but after being admitted instead to a masters program at one school and contacting a faculty member there to discuss research opportunities, she said she remembered me from my letters of recommendation. I didn't end up accepting the offer there, but it is clear that these letters are read and valued. They don't need to be from superstar faculty members (mine sure weren't), but the more strongly they can write about you, the better.

3) It might also be helpful to have an idea what area you want to research, since this can help you pick programs to apply to.

4) Having "top" schools in mind is always good, but make sure you apply to more than just those three (I assume you will). Application cycles can be pretty unpredictable, and each year there are highly qualified people who are not able to get acceptances. 

Also make sure you read through the other postings in this sub-forum. There is lots of other useful advice.

I think you will be competitive for those and other biostatistics master's programs, but who can say anything for sure. For context, Berkeley biostat MA reports a 25% admit rate with a mean GPA of 3.62. Based on what you've written here, your main weaknesses appear to be downward grade trend (A-'s and B's) in more advanced math classes and a lack of a mathematical statistics course (take this and aim for an A). ginagirl's advice is good.

I'm surprised a 3.78 GPA places you in the top 2% of your class. For undergrads at my (also top 20) public university, 3.75 is top 10%, 3.86 is top 3.5%. It sounds like you might be coming from a university with less grade inflation, so you'll want at least one of your letters of reference to put your grades in clear context (maybe that real analysis II class was harshly graded).

It sounds like you might be coming from a university with less grade inflation, so you'll want at least one of your letters of reference to put your grades in clear context (maybe that real analysis II class was harshly graded).

I agree that context is needed, but I think just listing on your CV what ranking (%) you graduated in would be sufficient. I don't think your letter writers need to defend or explain the grading.