Asking for LOR for later use (a special case)

Hello everyone!

I am a Linguistics major and graduating this year. I am now a research assistant at a linguistics lab. I am planning on applying to grad school after 1-2 years of working in the lab since I don't think I have enough research experience to compete in the applications to the top phd programs.

I studied abroad for a semester last year and took a course taught by a pretty big name in the field (everyone knows who he is). All of my professors from my home university advise me that I should get a LOR from him for grad school application.  The main reason why I would like to get a LOR from him now is that I am afraid he might not remember who I am if I asked him like a year later and that he is retiring soon (He is in his late 80s).

I know the common practice is to have the recommender to send the LORs directly to the schools I apply to but not through the applicant. I wonder if it would be weird if I asked the professor to send me a electronic copy so that I could use it later? 

Thank you!

Why don't you tell him the truth? That in a few years you will be applying to programs, but you thought it would be easier to have him write a letter for you now since the experience is fresh in his memory. Then ask if he wants to keep a copy saved on his HD until you give him the names of the programs to which you are applying, or if he would like to give you a copy now and have you handle it.

^This. I think it's fair to explain that you plan to apply to grad school in a couple of years and ask for a letter now, since you think it will be easier for him to write it now rather than a few years down the line. You could ask for his advice on where to keep the letter, but there are a few options -- either simply on his computer, or he can send it to a secretary who can hold onto it and help with uploading it later, or you can look into a service such as interfolio that specializes in precisely what you are looking for -- archiving letters of recommendation for future use so the original author doesn't have to be involved in future submissions.

I think it's worth pointing out that, at least in my experience, that a letter that comes through you will be generally worthless. It's the same reason that we are advised to click the "I waive the right to see the material in this letter" box when we apply, in that programs will assume that any information that has to come from us will be biased/moderated. Most programs won't even let you submit the letter directly. I think you should mention to the prof that you plan to apply in the future, ask if they are willing to write you a recommendation, then follow up regularly (one a year) with the prof in some way, just to keep in touch.

Lets also be honest, you are likely expecting/worrying that he may pass before you apply. Submitting a rec posthumously is a very, very bad idea.

I agree with the others that it's perfectly okay to ask for a letter to use later on; doesn't sound super atypical at all.  Could you sign up for Interfolio or some other such service, perhaps, and have him submit the letter to a dossier there for later use?