Employment for Phd Ed. Psyc w/specialization in counseling?

Oddtimes

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently getting ready to begin a an Phd program in counseling psychology. Technically, it is a Phd in educational psychology with a specialization in counseling. When I was comparing programs, I found that this program offered the same courses as other counseling psych. programs (most being CPSY courses not EDPS), had similar research interests, required an APA approved predoctoral internship, and prepared you for the same licensing exam.

I tentativley plan to work in the federal prison system and have been looking into employment opportunities that offer student loan repayment. My concern is that all of these jobs specifically require a doctoral degree in either clinical or counseling psychology. Does anyone know if it might be problematic that my degree is technically going to be a doctoral degree in educational psychology with a specialization in counseling even though it is virtually structured exactly like other counseling psyc programs. For example, if I applied for a job as a prison psychologist, do you think they would just look at my CV, see Educational Psychology, and then disreguard my application?

I would appreciate any insight. Thanks!!

I can't give you concrete answers, but unless the position mandates a Clinical/Counselling psychology degree then I don't see why not. They will probably be more interested in your experiences and what you bring to the table for this role. If you have all the qualities that they are looking for, you shouldn't hesitate to apply to those programs. Feel free to ask beforehand of course!

Thanks for your response! I guess that's my concern. It seems most positions I'm interested in specifically state that you need a Phd in either clinical or counseling psychology. Although I will have a Phd in educational psychology, my transcripts, internship, and license will be virtially identical to someone in a strictly counseling psych. program. I think the only reason it's referred to as a Phd in educational psychology is because it's housed within the education department (which I think is pretty common among counseling programs).

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently getting ready to begin a an Phd program in counseling psychology. Technically, it is a Phd in educational psychology with a specialization in counseling. When I was comparing programs, I found that this program offered the same courses as other counseling psych. programs (most being CPSY courses not EDPS), had similar research interests, required an APA approved predoctoral internship, and prepared you for the same licensing exam.

I tentativley plan to work in the federal prison system and have been looking into employment opportunities that offer student loan repayment. My concern is that all of these jobs specifically require a doctoral degree in either clinical or counseling psychology. Does anyone know if it might be problematic that my degree is technically going to be a doctoral degree in educational psychology with a specialization in counseling even though it is virtually structured exactly like other counseling psyc programs. For example, if I applied for a job as a prison psychologist, do you think they would just look at my CV, see Educational Psychology, and then disreguard my application?

I would appreciate any insight. Thanks!!

As long as you're licensed, it's fine! My program does this (Ed Psych with my concentration being School Psych, Counseling is another one). But as long as you do the hours and get the degree you'll be fine. Your internship experiences, etc should help show that you're on the right track.